Workshop to discuss combatting illiteracy

Megan Smith, a junior majoring in economics and political science and a co-studio lead for the University of Alabama studio, said Design for America Fellow Rob Calvey is leading the open workshop. She said Calvey also helped co-found a DFA studio at Virginia Tech and serves as a mentor to other studios across the country.

“He has a lot of great insight that he brings to the table in this process, so we’re excited to have him,” 
Smith said.

At the two-hour creative workshop, Calvey will lead students through a brainstorming session in which they will develop ways to combat functional illiteracy in the community.

“He’s going to come down [for the workshop] and basically describe the DFA process, which is the overarching goal of creating a sustainable change in the community—pinpointing a problem and then creating a change,” said Emma Smith, a sophomore majoring in communication studies and urban design and marketing director for the University of Alabama’s studio. “He walks us through the steps of how that works, so it’s very interactive, everyone who’s involved will be hands-on and 
creating something.”

Megan Smith said all are welcome to attend the workshop, even if they have no prior connection to DFA. She said students can sign up to attend the workshop online, but signing up is not mandatory. She said the students, faculty and representatives from the Tuscaloosa Public Library are planning to attend and will all bring different types of creativity to the 
brainstorming process.

“We want the room to be full of energy, full of creativity, but I think the biggest challenge we face at this point is people saying, ‘Oh, I’m not creative,’ or ‘I don’t have any interest in functional literacy,’” she said. “Recognizing that creativity comes in a lot of different forms and looks like a lot of different things for a lot of people is something we really want to drive home.”

Megan Smith also said she hopes they will attract people from many different backgrounds to the workshop and
 their group.

“This is a collaborative space, and whether your background or interests are in economics or whether it’s in engineering, or whether it’s in art history – whatever your interest is, there’s a place for you in Design for America,” she said.

The University of Alabama DFA group can be reached at 
[email protected].