Protest to be held for Brown

Michael Brown was an 18-year-old male shot by police officer Darren Wilson. A grand jury recently decided not to indict Wilson on any charges.

Students participating in the demonstration, titled “Black Lives Matter: T-town for Mike Brown” on posters circulated via email, will meet on the first level of the Ferguson Center, next to Starbucks. The demonstration will take place on the second floor of the Ferg. In an emailed statement to Student Affairs staff, Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Adam Sterritt said students will sit in seats and public spaces of the Ferg during the one-hour demonstration.

“As this is a peaceful and silent demonstration, we have worked with the students to ensure that their sit-in will not impede access to areas or services currently within or outside of the Ferguson Center,” Sterritt said in his email to Student Affairs staff. “We want you to be aware so that you can assist in making this a supportive environment for their expression.”

According to Sterritt’s email, the main visual characteristics of the demonstration will be: Participants have been asked to wear all black attire, will be silent throughout the demonstration, may choose to carry signs or other visual representations to speak for their thoughts in the absence of voice, and some may choose to lie down for 4.5 minutes, to signify the length of time Michael Brown was lying in the street after his death.

“Although we are not aware of how many students might participate, we are in communication with the leadership of this effort and will work with their team tomorrow to ensure that the objections of their demonstration are met, as well as our needs for proper egress, access to services and safety considerations,” Sterritt said in his email.

The event will be held from 11:30 to 12:30 p.m. Participants are requested to wear all black.