Omar Pérez to perform poetry reading downtown

While the United States works to improve relations within Cuba, the University has built connections here, one of which will be on display Tuesday when Omar Pérez, a Cuban poet and musician, will give a poetry reading and musical exploration at the Jemison Mansion in downtown Tuscaloosa.

Born in Havana, Pérez has authored several books of poetry and essays and has also translated works of famed authors such as William Shakespeare and Dylan Thomas. Hank Lazer, professor of English at the University, got to know Pérez during his various trips to Cuba, thanks to translations of Pérez’s poetry into English done by 
Kristin Dykstra.

“It was Kristin who put me in touch with Omar,” Lazer said. “I emailed him, and during my four trips to Cuba, I have gotten the opportunity to get to know him and his poetry.”

Pérez said his work is based on his real life experiences growing up in Cuba and describes his work 
as interactive.

“My life is the fundamental part of my work,” Pérez said. “I see living and conforming one’s ideal space as the ultimate poetic work. Sounds and colors and rhythms and the subversion of common meanings are the basic line of my 
work now.”

For Pérez, translating was a large part of his education and remains an 
influence on his poetry today.

“You can see the impact in the framing of a bilingual or multilingual poetry and writing, and also in an interdisciplinary stance to poetry and the rest of the arts,” he said.

The event involves Pérez’s recent work being read as Pérez accompanies on the cajón, a handmade wooden drum. Lazer, who has followed Pérez’s work over the years, had the opportunity to perform with Pérez and fellow UA professor and soprano saxophonist Andrew Raffo Dewar in a jazz-poetry concert. Over the years, Pérez has met with the Honors College Fellows and book arts students on their trips to Cuba.

Lazer said the event is an opportunity for the community to learn about the Cuban culture.

“First and foremost, it is an opportunity to hear a great poet perform his work,” Lazer said. “I also think that the perspectives of a Cuban artist help us to re-examine our own culture.”

Pérez also brings an opportunity for students in book arts to work with him on a book project. For the many people on and off campus who speak or study Spanish, interacting with Pérez will be a 
new experience in the realms of music and poetry.