Thank you, University police department

Tanks rolling down University Boulevard. Men with automatic weapons and Kevlar vests enforcing curfew outside of Presidential Village. Tear gas raining down on students peaceably gathered on the Quad. 

All of these seem unimaginable on our postcard-perfect campus. Unfortunately, they have been a reality for the people of Ferguson, Missouri, who have been protesting in the wake of a police shooting that took the life of Michael Brown. These protests and the military-style police response to them have sparked a larger national debate on the issues of racial bias in policing and the transfer of surplus military gear to local police forces. This column will not attempt to add to that debate, as I believe it has been and is being discussed by more talented writers and news reporters. 

Instead, I write to express my gratitude to the police force that works 24/7 to keep The University of Alabama’s students and campus safe, while trying their best to preserve the freedom and fun of our college experience: UAPD. 

Many students will recoil in distaste because their main interactions with UAPD have been as they were patted down on their way into Bryant-Denny Stadium, as their “Wine Wednesday” house party was broken up over a noise complaint, or as they or one of their friends were written a Student Non-Academic Misconduct citation. 

While this part of UAPD’s duties does occasionally put a damper on our fun, it is far from the whole story that I have heard and seen during my time at UA. I was thankful for UAPD every time I walked from Fraternity Row back to Ridgecrest South without fear during my freshman year (in ridiculous costumes no less). I was grateful for UAPD when a female friend had a man expose himself to her while she was relaxing at the Riverwalk. 

With one phone call, UAPD arrived in time to catch the perpetrator still in the act, so that no one in Tuscaloosa has to worry about this man again. While our freedom to protest is far from perfectly protected, I am thankful that no demonstration last year ended in tear gas and rubber bullets. 

Although students generally dislike the proliferation of “minor in possession of alcohol” citations, I appreciate the number of drunk drivers these citations keep off the road and the number of students who don’t have to explain much more damaging DUI records to future employers. 

Finally, I am personally thankful that UAPD’s reputation for sub-60 second response times helped me scare off two students I witnessed in the midst of attacking a third on campus. Yelling “UAPD is coming!” was enough to stop their attack and put them on the run. 

So thank you, UAPD, for protecting us and making the University a safe and enjoyable campus for all students.

Leigh Terry is a junior majoring in economics. Her column runs weekly.