Announcements for 7/8/2010

UA professor receives ExCEEd Leadership Award

Dr. Kenneth J. Fridley, University of Alabama professor and head of civil, construction and environmental engineering, recently received the American Society of Civil Engineering’s ExCEEd Leadership Award. The award honors an ASCE member who has shown exceptional leadership and dedication to educational activities within the organization and is presented by the ASCE Education Activities Committee at the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference

REGISTRATION Open FOR PLAZA LIVE

On Aug. 15 from 7 p.m. until midnight, the Ferguson Student Center Plaza and Promenade will be the site for Plaza Live, which will showcase a variety of activities and services that UA and Tuscaloosa have to offer. Student organizations, campus departments and local organizations are invited to set up information tables during the 7-9 p.m. period. In order to engage students in Plaza Live, groups are asked to host interactive games or activities, provide promotional items and distribute information about their organizations. To be a part of Plaza Live, complete the registration form at http://wow.ua.edu/tableRequest.cfm

Companies Recognized for Energy Savings Garnered From UA’s AIAC

Recently, President Barack Obama ordered federal agencies to cut building costs by the end of fiscal year 2012 as vital energy resources are being wasted. While he is supporting green initiatives on a national scale, The University of Alabama’s Alabama Industrial Assessment Center is putting these efforts into play throughout the state. At least six Alabama companies working with the AIAC have significantly reduced energy usage and therefore improved cost savings.