Creative Campus debuts video game exhibit

Imagine climbing inside your favorite video games and seeing their inner mechanisms come to life. This is what Creative Campus is showcasing with The Artcade, an interactive exhibit on display in the Rec Student Activity Center on Thursday.

“The goal of The Artcade is to change students’ perspectives on video games,” said Lauren Balut, a junior majoring in computer engineering and math, who is leading the project. “To replace bad stereotypes with an appreciation for the artistic process of the games’ creation.”

The concept of an interactive video game-based exhibit is a first for Creative Campus and The University of Alabama. Participants will be able to interact with speed-runs of award winning games, as well as artistic and musical behind-the-scenes features.

“It’s going to be a three level exhibit comprised of music, gameplay, graphics and narrative,” said Thomas Key, a sophomore majoring in food and nutrition. He is assisting Balut with the ArtCade. “You can play games and learn about their artistic value.”

(See also “Creative Campus to host storytelling event“)

Balut said the aim of the exhibit is to illustrate the artistic integrity of video games and game design.

“Each component of a video game’s creation is an art form based on all of the creative work that goes into making the different parts and putting them together,” Balut said. “The interactive platform on which they are combined makes even the methods of game-play artistic.”

The Artcade will feature award-winning games such as The Stanley Parable, Flower, Proteus, AudioSurf, Mario Chase and more. Participants will be able to experience these games in a different light, by gaining an insight into their inner workings.

“I am most excited for the narrative section, where students can play The Stanley Parable and other games,” Balut said. “Gamers will be able to determine their character, moral/ethical alignment, and watch narrative gameplay content.”

As a gamer, Balut has been interested in the way video games have developed artistically over time.

(See also “Quality, creativity of video games suffer from forced annual editions“)

“The advancements of technology have caused video games to become more sophisticated in musical and graphical quality,” she said. “But improvements in narrative and game-play style have only come about due to the increasing popularity of video games in society.”

Balut said video games can be received in many different ways.

“Video games mean something different to everyone,” she said. “Whether it is a way to relax and de-stress, or a means to challenge oneself, interact with friends, or admire the games’ craftsmanship.”

Key said he hopes that attendees will leave the exhibit with a new perspective on video games and art.

“When I started the project I didn’t really care about video games,” said Key. “But now I appreciate their inner workings and the artistic value of what they represent.”

(See also “Creative Campus hosts All Hallows Happening performance art event“)