Increasing academic success and promoting integrity at UA

My name is Laura Gregory, and I am seeking election to the office of Vice President for Academic Affairs. I am a junior from Nashville, Tenn., majoring in political science and public relations and minoring in French, and I am very excited to have this opportunity to continue serving the student body through the Student Government Association.

As students at The University of Alabama, we are incredibly fortunate to be part of a vibrant and dynamic academic culture. We have opportunities for creative studies on campus, in the local community and in countries across the globe, and those educational prospects are continually expanding. Further, those opportunities are limited only by our imagination and effort.

It is the responsibility of the VP for Academic Affairs to work with administrators to ensure that each student has access to the educational tools necessary to complete his or her degree and forge a path to future success. This means building on existing programs and developing new initiatives – all with students’ academic achievement in mind.

For example, over the last year, the current Vice President of Academic Affairs implemented an in-house advising program to give students more convenient access to advisors within individual colleges. If elected, I would like to build on that program by creating an academic mentoring program primarily geared toward new students. Incoming freshmen and transfer students would be paired with an upperclassman mentor with the same major. These mentors would serve as a “go-to” person for the new student, coaching them through the advising process, giving advice on class schedules and suggesting ways to get involved on campus in areas that align with that student’s specific interests.

Another idea I’d like to put into action is a student textbook exchange. The cost of textbooks – new or used – can be a significant expense. A systematic textbook exchange would create a buy/sell marketplace among students, easing the cost burden of books and freeing up college-fund money for other creative educational opportunities.

Finally, if elected, I would like to partner with the Academic Honor Council to start a campus wide campaign promoting honor and integrity in the classroom as well as in every UA endeavor. The key to true individual academic success is for each student to give his or her best, honest effort. For the sake of each student’s success and the future of our University, we must make honesty and integrity a priority at the Capstone.

I have been extremely fortunate to serve in the SGA since my freshman year. I have served two terms as Senator for Arts and Sciences, and I currently serve as Secretary of the Senate and Director of Outreach and Public Relations for the SGA Lobby Board. These offices have helped me build solid working relationships on campus and have enabled me to help promote exciting programs for our student body.

I believe these past experiences, my ability to work well with others, my passion for academic excellence on this campus, and my willingness and desire to serve the students of the Capstone make me the most qualified candidate for VP for Academic Affairs.

I thank you in advance for your support, and I would be honored to have your vote.

Laura Gregory is a candidate for the position of SGA Vice President of Academic Affairs.