SGA needs to grow scholarship endowment, expand outreach

My name is Andrew Gross, and I am running for Vice President for Financial Affairs. I am currently a junior here at the Capstone, majoring in finance and real estate with a minor in political science. The Student Government Association has been a huge part of my life during my time here in Tuscaloosa.

I have served as a First Year Councilor, Senator of the Business school and currently am Treasurer of our Student Government. As a Senator, I was the Co-Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance. This year I have worked as a member of the Executive Council and now truly know the ins and outs of this great University. I have worked directly under the past two VPs for Financial Affairs and have learned what it takes to work effectively in this position.

My past experience has allowed me to build a strong relationship with our University’s administration, and I believe this will play a key role in my term as VP of Finance. My main focus for this year is to work hand in hand with the administration to increase funding for student scholarships and money available for student organizations. Additionally, I want to create a strong marketing campaign, engaging with students and explaining the many financial opportunities provided by the SGA.

Fundraising is one of the most important aspects of Financial Affairs. This past year, we have coordinated a letter campaign and planned events focused on expanding the SGA Scholarship Endowment Fund. One event in progress is a silent auction where donated Alabama Football Memorabilia is up for bidding, and all of the proceeds go toward the Scholarship Fund.

Another way the SGA provides for students is through the Need Based Scholarship. As a college student, student loans and debt are a harsh reality. This year, we designed the Need Based Scholarship Committee to help those desperately in need of some relief from the financial burden associated with college. With an expanded budget for those in need, we can really make a huge impact on more students’ lives.

There are so many chances for students as well as student organizations to attain money through the SGA. I want to launch a strong campus wide marketing campaign that teaches our student body about these amazing opportunities. This will help the SGA provide benefits to a much larger audience.

My objective is to develop this position into a student-driven division of the SGA, a focus on you: the great students of this University. I know that investing in the future of our University’s community is vital, and, as the Vice President for Financial Affairs, I would do just that.

Thank you for your time, and of course, Roll Tide.

Andrew Gross is a candidate for the position of SGA Vice President for Financial Affairs. He is running unopposed.