SGA stands with the Capstone in higher education funding

By Allison Ingram | Guest Columnist

When we first entered The University of Alabama, we imagined college as an invitation to the future, the first taste of adulthood’s freedom still coupled with the excitement and flexibility of youth. Finally, the years of college applications, ACT prep courses and our parents’ stories from their glory days culminated into our own experience as we selected majors and perused bulletin board sign-ups.

While the social aspect of college is a notable given, it’s nearly impossible for students to overlook the other end of the spectrum that highlights unlimited educational opportunities. From engaging classes that deviate from the norm, committed professors and numerous open doors beyond campus, our four years maximize our degrees and deliver an education that transcends the textbook into a real-life practice.

But what if I told you it could all be jeopardized?

Recently, the Alabama Education Trust fund began to dwindle without any incoming reimbursement, forcing legislators to cut higher education appropriations from their one-third allocation. Institutions pulled back their resources, inched up their tuition costs and eliminated programs from their curriculum, affecting everyone from those starting their core requirements to those eyeing the graduation line.

Now Alabama, along with another 14 universities across the state, face this chopping block that threatens our campus experience and consequently the opportunities that follow, as well.

The Higher Ed Partnership responded to the dilemma by appearing before state legislative sessions, protesting the cut and asking for a return to the former portion. But in order to sway the motion, they need decisive input from the very students affected.

On February 27, the partnership wants to grasp the attention of lawmakers right in our legislature’s backyard at Higher Ed Day. Students and educators will rally from across the state on the Alabama State House front steps to prove that Alabama’s students are listening and aware of the decisions being made.

As members of the state’s largest higher education institution, Alabama students are in unique position in the fight to preserve funding. While our school marks the state both in stature and merit, our past presence at Higher Ed Day has been less than notable.

The Student Government Association is fighting this trend by sponsoring a large student base to Montgomery, chartering buses to the Capitol for the 10:30 a.m. rally and returning after the free barbecue lunch on the Capitol’s South Lawn. In addition to breakfast, a free T-shirt and an invitation to attend Capitol at the Capstone next month, students who attend today receive SLPro hours and Panhellenic points for participation. SGA President Jimmy Taylor and Provost Benson have also excused any student from class that Thursday, eliminating all obstacles to attendance. For more details or to sign up, visit the SGA homepage under Upcoming Events.

As we graduate and enter the state’s workforce, we assume the role of Alabama’s next generation, essentially shaping the community’s landscape, economic development and political dialogue for years to come. We determine the state’s livelihood and direction by offering the innovation needed to propel Alabama into the future.

When legislators fail to address the needs of higher education, they’re hindering students, universities and likewise the state. Higher Ed Day reminds them of their obligation to Alabama as not only guardians of today, but also as supporters of tomorrow, committed to building a front for the advancement of Alabama from the first day of college and beyond.

Allison Ingram is the SGA liaison to The Crimson White.