Singers host student-run performance

The musical talents of a group of University of Alabama students will be showcased Thursday at the University Singers performance at Moody Music Building.

University Singers is a selective ensemble of 45 student choral singers from around campus.

“They’re kind of the best of the best,” said Michelle Rosenberg, event coordinator for the music school. “Most of them are music majors or minors, but they actually do have people from all different departments.”

The University Singers perform on several occasions throughout the year. However, this performance will be different than others. The director of the group is on sabbatical for the semester, so the concert will be entirely student-run, from the singers to the pianist and even the conductor.

(See also “University Singers invited to perform at Carnegie Hall“)

“This is going to double as a recital for one of our doctoral students who is majoring in conducting,” Rosenberg said. “It’ll be her chance to be tested on her conducting skills.”

The conductor, Sooyeon Lee, is earning her doctoral degree in music arts. Lee will lead this performance as part of her degree requirements.

“I like to be a part of University Singers because every voice unifies and creates a new combination,” Lee said. “Singing as a group is a quite awesome experience because one person cannot produce the sound such as a group producing different tones at one time.”

(See also “UA School of Music presents fall concert steeped in tradition“)

Lee chose the five choral pieces that will be performed. The pieces are of various genres, ranging from European Renaissance to contemporary and Korean, including William Byrd’s “Sing Joyfully” and Herbert Howells’ “Requiem.”

“I want to give a pleasure not only to the singers but also the audience,” Lee said. “I want them to be happy by singing and listening.”

Rosenberg said she believes everyone should take the opportunity to see the University Singers perform.

“I feel like more students would have a better understanding of what we are capable of if they would come to these, and they might want to participate as well. ” Rosenberg said. “I’m sure there’s a lot of students who have great vocal abilities who don’t realize these things are available to them.”

(See also “Concert to feature new, familiar pieces“)