And the Heisman goes to…

… An exceptional athlete? The best football player in the country? A role model? A few of the most recent Heisman Trophy winners have raised the question of whether or not the winner can always meet all three criteria and whether or not it matters if he does not.

Without a doubt all of the Heisman Trophy nominees every year are exceptional athletes of their time. Being considered as one of the top six players in college football means any of those individuals possesses a winning combination of talent, work ethic, physicality and an indomitable desire and ability to win games. This was clear in this year’s crop of finalists as well, as even the bottom three runners-up garnered around 30 first place votes each.

According to its mission statement, the Heisman Trophy is supposed to represent “the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence.” This would seem to make the second criteria a no-brainer as well. In its 79 – year existence, we have come to believe as a society that the Heisman winner represents the most outstanding player in college football that year in the same way the Oscars for Best Actor and Actress represent the finest film performances of the year. The Heisman winner is supposed to be the best player period, right?

Maybe not. The end of that all-important mission statement goes on to state “whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity.” What happens when the best player on the field may not be the best role model off the field? If recent winners are to be any indication, Heisman voters disregard the most outstanding athlete’s character and reward them with the trophy anyway.

However, the hero-like worship that comes from winning this prestigious award should not be bestowed on someone who would teach the wrong lessons to today’s youth – our little siblings, our neighbors and someday our own children. If we have to jettison a criterion, let it be “most outstanding” in favor of “with integrity.”

Who we reward with this prestigious piece of metal reflects on our values. If we want to reward players who excel with integrity, we should be looking for nominees who respect others, serve their community, stay out of trouble with the law and who we are proud to represent the best of our beloved American football to the world.

While I proudly support our Heisman runner-up quarterback, AJ McCarron, I would be concerned about 2013’s winner regardless of who was next in line for the award. The sexual assault allegations made against Jameis Winston are serious and not something to be forgotten simply because no charges were filed. Brushing these aside and handing Winston a spot in history and the accompanying praise and glory does not just teach girls that their voices and opinions are of lesser value than a boy’s. It also teaches boys that exercising caution and respecting women in their personal and professional lives is optional – or worse, socially undesirable.

When next December rolls around, I hope that Heisman voters will pick the most outstanding man with integrity, not a boy in pursuit of excellence without ethics.

Leigh Terry is a sophomore majoring in economics. Her column runs biweekly.