Avoid too much holiday sparkle with neutrals, basic accessories

It is almost here. After a long semester of classes, football and campus life, winter break will be here in fewer than two weeks. In a few days, we will all be able to go back home to relax, spend time with our family and friends and enjoy the holidays. It is the best time of the year. Between the presents and cookies of Christmas and the glitter and fun of New Year’s Eve, the holiday season is one that includes many chances for parties. In other words, many chances to find new outfits and dress for the occasion.

Christmas and holiday parties are always fun to dress up for. Everyone loves a good tacky Christmas sweater party, but there are other types of holiday celebrations as well. If you are having a laid-back celebration with your family, a simple outfit is perfect. Try just a sweater and jeggings for a comfortable night at home with the family. To be festive, make the sweater holiday-themed.

If you want to be a little more dressed up for a large family dinner or one of your friend’s holiday parties, try a pretty, fancy blouse and heeled boots. For accessories, add a warm scarf. Another option is the sweater dress, one of the most popular items of the season. Pair one with tights and boots for a simple but more dressed-up look that will work for any holiday party that you want to look a little more put-together for.

If you have a more formal event to attend, such as a holiday party for one of your parents’ jobs, there are plenty of dresses that are appropriate. To be a little more daring, stray away from the traditional red color that everyone else will be wearing. Choose a bolder color like teal or purple.

When it comes to New Year’s Eve, everyone has a different style in mind. If I go out for the holiday, my goal is to always have glitter and sparkles with my outfit. Many stores like Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, H&M and other stores will soon have plenty of items set out just for New Year’s Eve. If you want a sparkly outfit, try not to go overboard. Too much glitter or bedazzlement can go wrong. Stick to one statement piece with glitter and work around it. For example, choose a gold, shimmery top, but pair it with simple black skinny jeans and heels. Or if you like the idea of glittery shorts, pair them with plain black tights and a neutral top.

If you want your whole outfit to be a statement, like with a shimmery or glittery dress, try wearing it with black or nude heels and a black jacket. You still have the “wow” factor with the dress, but the neutral pieces keep you from trying too hard. Besides, a jacket, tights or pants will be needed on a cold night.

The holidays can be some of the most fun and stylish occasions to celebrate. Enjoy your time with your family and friends, have fun and, of course, be safe on New Year’s Eve.