Stay warm, fashion-forward with scarves, leggings during finals

The end of the year is approaching quickly. This means we have many things to look forward to: snow, holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas and the end of the semester. Unfortunately, this also means finals.

Back in August, on the first day of class whenever I got a syllabus, I immediately directed my attention to the date of my finals. Imagine my disappointment to find out that I have two finals at 8 a.m., which of course means not only will I be tired, but also freezing.

As the time for testing rolls around, there comes a need for test-savvy clothing. If you are like me, you may be caught between wanting to dress nice and wanting to throw on sweatpants and a coat. Warmth and comfort is the goal behind finals week. With those are the keys to your outfits. You can definitely look cute, simple and stay warm and not have to fall back on huge sweatpants and a hoodie.

The last thing you will want to be worried about while taking a test is how uncomfortable you are in the desk; wearing a comfortable outfit is a must. For me, the most comfortable item out there is leggings.

I may be crucified by fashion-savvy bloggers for saying this, but I love leggings. They are warm, cheap and, unlike jeans, are stretchy and non-constricting. So they will definitely be in my finals week wardrobe.

For a simple outfit, just take a pair of leggings, wear a cute over-sized sweater that will cover your bottom half and add a pair of comfortable boots. For an accessory, try a warm scarf. It adds a little something extra to the outfit and can be removed if you get too hot in the classroom.

If leggings are not your thing, try jeggings. They look more put-together than leggings but still give you the comfort that jeans do not. Try pairing them with a pretty blouse and riding boots. Wear a warm jacket over it for the cold walk to the test. If the weather requires you to have a little extra warmth and style, finish the look with a wintry headband and a pair of gloves.

Whether you choose to dress up or dress down, it is always a good idea to layer. It may be cold outside, but you never know which of the buildings have turned on the heat. Being hot can distract you from your test and even give you a headache. If you choose to wear a sweater, try a loose one so you are not constricted. It also may be a good idea to wear a tank top or T-shirt underneath, just in case you want to take the sweater off.

Any type of outerwear can be removed, so another idea is to wear a cardigan or warm jacket over a short-sleeved breezy blouse. This way, you can be warm on your walk but still be cool in the classroom.

With a lack of sleep, and plenty of stress and cold weather, finding an outfit during finals week can be a challenge for even the greatest fashion lover. Keep it put-together and simple, and you will not have to resort to oversized sweats and a hoodie. An exception comes, of course, for that test that you stayed up until 5 a.m. studying for. By all means, wear the sweats and get some sleep.