Don’t be afraid to carry summer trends into fall

We all know Alabama is famous for only having two seasons – summer and winter. We are all either melting from the heat or trying to keep the frostbite from breaking our noses off. But we still are lucky to have a few weeks of good fall weather coming up soon. If you are like me, one of the best parts about the seasons changing is switching out tanks for sweaters and sandals for boots. But before you go out and buy an entirely new wardrobe, consider which pieces of your summer clothes you can bring into fall with you.

Something that has always frustrated me is buying so many clothes just to have to put them away after a couple of months. Why pack up all of the tank tops, dresses and shorts you have collected over the past few months when they can still be used? There are many items in your closet that can be used from season to season. For me, the most seasonally versatile items are shorts, sundresses and lightweight tank tops. There are endless possibilities with these items, no matter the weather.

Shorts come in all shapes, fabrics and patterns. Even though many of us turn to leggings and jeans when the leaves change colors, we don’t have to. From regular denim to high-waisted to trouser, shorts are a staple that should not be packed away in the “summer clothes” box.

Since it does not get too cold down here in the South, they can be worn well into the fall semester. Shorts look great with a lightweight chambray shirt and flats or with a tank top and over-sized cardigan.

Even when the weather gets really chilly, shorts can still work. Tweed and black dress shorts are two types that are great for cooler weather. Add a pair of neutral color tights, an infinity scarf and a sweater for a perfectly comfy fall look.

The other summer staple that can be brought into the fall is the sundress. Although many sundresses are bright and do not have the deep rich colors that are always trending in the fall, they can still be worn and look stylish. Adding a cropped denim jacket or a blazer and switching out sandals for oxfords or short booties can make the sundress perfect for chilly days.

It may not seem like it, but tank tops and crop tops are two other versatile items that work well in the fall. They are the perfect tops for layering. Being in Alabama, there are bound to be days where it will be freezing in the morning and hot in the afternoon, so these shirts are perfect. Tank tops or camis are thin and can easily be thrown on under a light jacket or thin sweater. Crop tops go great with high-waisted dark jeans and boots or with a cardigan.

Reusing so many clothes from the summer is sure to give you more possibilities for your fall wardrobe. You will really be getting your money’s worth in the clothes, and it will let you wear something a little more creative than leggings and a sweater. Besides, think of all the boots you can buy with the extra money. Isn’t that what really matters?