Alcohol sales in stadium would benefit Tuscaloosa community

It seems the college football world is obsessed with discussing NCAA rules, without regard to SEC rules. Today, it is time to address one of the more egregious rules that our otherwise dominant conference has established: the SEC’s ban on the sale of alcohol in the stadiums. While the NCAA bans the usage of alcohol in its bowl games, conferences have a right to determine if their programs can sell beer.

This policy is problematic for three distinct reasons.

First, it creates issues with alcohol abuse. Students have to get to the game so early to get seats. This leads to heavy alcohol consumption before even entering the stadium to maintain a buzz until the game starts. If students were able to purchase alcohol in the stadium, the need to pregame the football game would decrease. While some tailgating obviously would occur, it would be for the joy of tailgating and not only to consume alcohol before entering the stadium.

The SEC should also consider the financial implications of this policy. More than just athletics could make money off alcohol sales in the stadium; it would also benefit the community. Different community groups run many of the concession stands in the stadium. Further, it could help the local economy as a whole, as local workers would be needed to meet increased demand across the Southeast.

Finally, it just makes sense. What logical reason is there to ban alcohol from stadiums? The SEC has overreached its authority with the ban. People should be able to drink alcohol in stadiums. The arguments against it usually are, “drunk fans are bad fans” and “dangers of alcohol.” Honestly, I don’t think a ban on alcohol in stadiums solves the drunk fans. Those fans are drunk well before the game. The dangers of alcohol again are not solved because people will find a way around it. Each school should be able to choose whether or not they can drink in a stadium.

We should be able to purchase alcohol in Bryant-Denny. It does not make any sense to limit people on issues such as this. Obviously, there would be many factors to consider before a policy change. However, on the whole, it has worked in the NFL, so why shouldn’t it work for college football? We can help the economy and help protect from alcohol abuse.

Regan Williams is a senior majoring in communication studies and political science. His column runs biweekly on Thursdays.