Trade in easy for breezy

By Bianca Martin | Contributing Writer

^

School’s back in session here in Tuscaloosa, and so is the blazing heat.

Having to walk to classes, lunch and anywhere around campus when it’s 90 degrees can make anyone desperate to beat the heat as easily as possible.

Though it is easy to just put on a T-shirt and running shorts and throw your hair into a ponytail, try out some cooler alternatives to get through the hot day in style.

One option is the flowy top. There are many different sleeveless tops that come in sheer fabric that won’t stick to your skin. You’ll love your flowy top when a breeze runs by and gives you some relief from the burning sun. Throw on a bandeau top under it, add some denim shorts and you’ll be good to go.

If sheer fabric shows too much skin for your taste, there are plenty of other loose, sleeveless tops that can be found all around the mall in stores such as American Eagle and Charlotte Russe.

My personal favorite clothing item to help survive an August day is the sundress. Sundresses come in many different styles, from leopard print to maxi to strapless.

Even though it is hot outside, we all know that many of the lecture halls can be freezing, so try the art of layering.

A simple cardigan is the easiest way to layer. Cardigans are lightweight and easy to throw in and pull out of your backpack throughout the day. Carry one around with you so you can put it on to keep from shivering while your teacher lectures for an hour.

The next time you get out of bed and see that the high for the day will be in the mid-90s, fight the urge to just throw on a T-shirt and shorts. Stay cool, bring a bottle of water, and enjoy the beginning of the school year, Tuscaloosa sun and all.