Sustainability, not nepotism, reasoning behind selection of Rep. Jo Bonner

This month, The University of Alabama System welcomed an alumnus back into its ranks to fill a brand new position. Congressman Jo Bonner’s selection as the vice chancellor of governmental relations and economic development has drawn some controversy. Rep. Bonner also happens to be the brother of President Judy Bonner. Now, to some, this is seen as a terrible thing and should be stopped. However, when the issue is seriously examined, it is clearly not a scandal.

A common accusation is that Bonner’s hiring is nepotism and a case study in unfair hiring practices. They feel Rep. Bonner is only being hired because of the fact that his sister is president of The University of Alabama.

This idea is just false and shrouded in misconception. The first issue is that President Bonner works for The University of Alabama. Rep. Bonner will work for The University of Alabama System. There is a huge difference. The University of Alabama is only the Tuscaloosa campus, but Rep. Bonner will be working for all thre campuses in the state, not just our campus. This means they will not be working in the same office. Furthermore, they will not even be working in the same city. Rep. Bonner is working in an office in Montgomery.

It may seem a little fishy at first, but President Bonner did not hire her brother, nor did she have a way to authorize it. So the whole idea that President Bonner made a position for her brother is ludicrous. Chancellor Robert Witt was the one who hired Rep. Bonner. It was his idea, and he created the position.

Surely the litmus test for making an appropriate hiring test should include a candidate’s suitability for the position? Well, butter my biscuit. It is a governmental relations job. Someone who spent 10 and half years in Congress is taking a job to work with governments. Gasp!

In all seriousness: This is exactly why we need him. The government is constantly changing, and as new policies are passed and new grants become available, why would we not want someone who spent 10 and a half years in Congress helping us make sure we are well represented?

We need someone with government experience to help us go to the next level. We also need someone who loves the state and all the universities in the system to take the position. Rep. Bonner has great ties to the system as a double graduate of the University with an undergraduate degree and a law degree.

He now has worked as a civil servant more than a decade, serving this great state to his best ability. Rep. Bonner fits the job perfectly, and he is what we need in order to keep on climbing to the top of the list of public universities. This is an individual who has given his life to helping this state, and now he is just finding a new avenue to help the state in new ways.

These two siblings have done so much for not only the University but also the state of Alabama. It is not only ridiculous to think that this was wrong but just plain insulting toward a family that has given so much time and energy to ensure our education. Instead of questioning these individuals, we should be thanking them.

Regan Williams is a senior majoring in political science and communication studies.