Local ministries offer study breaks

With finals week fast approaching, many University of Alabama students are spending the vast majority of their time holed up in the library, plugged into Pandora with their choice of caffeinated beverage at their fingertips, but for those students looking to take a study break, many campus ministries and local churches are offering opportunities for students to close the books for a few hours and unwind.

TRINITY

Potluck Dinner and Labyrinth Prayer Path – Hosted by Trinity United Methodist Church off Bryant Drive, the event gives students the opportunity to enjoy a free potluck dinner on the front lawn of the church Wednesday, April 24. The prayer labyrinth, a maze-like walk on the front lawn, will be open 24/7 from April 24-May 3 for students to walk through to experience spiritual guidance, meditation and stress relief. At the opening of the labyrinth, following the potluck dinner, a local pastor will speak about the ancient meaning of the prayer labyrinth and why people in ancient times used it.

Date: Wednesday, April 24-Friday, May 3

Where: 729 Paul W. Bryant Drive

BCM

Tuscaloosa Monday Movie Marathon – The University of Alabama’s Baptist Campus Ministry will provide popcorn, soft drinks and a variety of movies for students who stop by their University Boulevard location seeking a study break Monday, April 29 from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Movies will be shown at two-hour intervals and will include “Back to the Future,” “Toy Story,” “The Goonies,” “Toy Story 2,” “The Princess Bride” and “Toy Story 3.” Lunch will be served at noon and a pancake dinner will be served at 6 p.m.

Date: Monday, April 29, 10 a.m.-10 p.m.

Where: 401 University Blvd.

NAVIGATORS

Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball and Volleyball – Bama Navigators offers opportunities for the energetic and athletic to unleash their stress and excess energy through the outlet of sports. Students can join in on an ultimate frisbee game Friday at 3 p.m. at the Recreation Center Fields. Students can also join for a morning basketball game Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Student Recreation Center. Additionally, Bama Navigators will host a volleyball game at the Burke Hall volleyball court Monday at 7:30 p.m.

Date: Friday, April 26, at 3 p.m., Saturday, April 27, at 11 a.m., Monday, April 29, at 7:30 p.m.

Where: 401 5th Avenue East/920 Hackberry Lane

For students just looking to attend a weekly college church service or worship night, various churches are hosting their last service of the spring semester Wednesday, April 24.

HIGHLANDS

ONE at Church of the Highlands – Located at 1081 Fairfax Park, Church of the Highlands invites college students to a night of worship for its last service of the semester.

Date: Wednesday, April 24, at 8 p.m.

Where: 1081 Fairfax Park

CALVARY

The Well at Calvary Baptist Church will be hosting its last college service of the spring semester at its location on Bryant Drive on Wednesday, April 24.

Date: Wednesday, April 24 at 8 p.m.

Where: 1121 Paul W. Bryant Drive

story created on Tuesday 4/23/2013 at 4:52:46 pm by Chelsea Pickett story modified on Tuesday 4/23/2013 at 6:14:18 pm by Chelsea Pickett