Senior places 1st in interior design competition

When Melita Hudson first came to The University of Alabama, she had no idea she would eventually become an award-winning interior designer.

“I actually started out school as a biology and chemistry major,” Hudson said. “I wasn’t really happy with that so I changed over to business. Then I saw the interior design program so I took a class just to see, and I ended up really loving it and switching over to interior design.”

Hudson, now a senior majoring in interior design, recently interned with Davis Architects where she had the opportunity to contribute to the design of coach Nick Saban’s beach house.

Hudson said she did not know anything about the project she was working on until she went to turn it in.

“We were working on the new Strengthening and Conditioning Center,” Hudson said. “They just kind of gave me a little side assignment and told me to just come up with some layout ideas. When I finished, they told me the file to put it under and it said ‘Saban’s Beach Residence.’ I really didn’t do the house; I just kind of worked on pre-planning and layouts like furniture.”

The internship with Davis Architects was not part of Hudson’s plan either. Hudson said she never intended to do any internships, but thought she would shadow a professional for a week or two.

When Hudson showed up to have her portfolio reviewed, she ended up with a semester-long internship.

Stephanie Sickler, an assistant professor in the department of clothing, textiles and interior design, has had Hudson in several of her classes.

“Melita has been a student of mine for several years. I believe Melita will be a great designer in her practice,” Sickler said. “She is ambitious and creative and with her French background, will be a strong competitor for international design practices. She has recently won a statewide student design competition as well.”

Hudson’s design for a high-end coffee shop landed her with a first place ribbon in retail restaurant design in the International Interior Design Student Design Competition.

“I actually turned [my design] in at the last hour you could turn it in,” Hudson said. “I came up with a concept that was a little bit different and higher end, not just a Joe Muggs in a Books-A-Million.”

Hudson said she has many different influences when it comes to her designs. One of them is Sickler.

“She really has brought a lot to the interior design program and has given us new ways to convey our ideas,” Hudson said. “It helped everything come out more professional and overall.”

Sickler’s area of concentration is in residential design, community-engaged scholarship and community housing, which is an avenue Hudson hopes to follow.

“I’d like to work residential, maybe in the Panhandle or Destin area,” Hudson said. “Right now I’m currently job searching and working on my portfolio to get it ready for employers to look at.”

Until Hudson finds her dream job in the interior design world, she said she is doing side work correcting layout plans.