I will fight for better communication, build more personal relationships

I am both excited and honored to be running for the position of executive secretary.

As a whole, the Student Government Association serves to best represent the ideas and concerns of the University of Alabama’s student body. Each position maintains an integral role in the successful execution of the SGA’s goals. The executive secretary helps students access the content, ideas and goals of each executive position by keeping prompt, up-to-date records.

My platform focuses on access, information and transparency, all things that foster an environment of trust and partnership between students and elected individuals. My priorities as executive secretary include maintaining accurate documentation, providing accessible records and clearly communicating with students.

I believe that strong, sustainable relationships all across campus encourage conversation and collaboration that make The University of Alabama better. My campaign has been centered on people – getting to know a wide variety of students and building relationships with people all across campus. Our SGA represents all students, and I want to further the goal of inclusion.

Since I arrived on campus my freshman year, I have remained involved in a wide variety organizations that represent the dynamics of campus well. The personal relationships I have already formed serve as solid connections to different parts of campus as well as opportunities to meet even more people to hear ideas and concerns.

When access to the available information about the goals and plans of the SGA isn’t available, students do not have an opportunity to make suggestions or get involved in the beginning stages. While the minutes of executive meetings are posted online, greater emphasis should be placed on clearly communicating the possibilities in the future to the students.

An invaluable resource, I believe that a stronger relationship with The Crimson White would be of great value. No other source reaches students as directly as the newspaper, and a clear line of communication between the SGA and The Crimson White would be beneficial. Not only would the media be kept up to date on the progress being made, but, inherently, the student body would be informed as well. Clear communication serves as one of the most efficient leadership tools, and I am dedicated to advancing the Student Government Association’s communication.

I was a member of the First Year Council, and I am currently finishing my term as Associate Justice of the Judicial Board. I have a great understanding of SGA as a whole as well as experience that makes me qualified. My involvement on campus remains widely varied, and I have a great understanding of multiple perspectives that will allow me to serve the student body well.

Personally, I draw my strength and inspiration from other people. Fundamental, sustainable change occurs on a personal level. Consequently, I place a great deal of stock in the relationships I have with others. I will always have an open door policy – accessible at any time to address any concerns students may have. I see both greatness and potential in our student body, and I would be humbled to serve the student body in a way that would greater advance our campus.

Once again, I am honored to be running and would greatly appreciate your vote for executive secretary.

Mary Wills is running for the SGA Executive Secretary position. She currently serves as an Associate Justice on the Judicial Board.