Take ownership of SGA

The primary goal of any SGA President should be cultivating an inclusive, transparent and truly representative student government. For months, I have laid out my vision for broadening representation in SGA and for engaging every corner of campus.

Now is the time for us to act.

Today I ask you to join me because without your input—and more importantly without your ownership—the SGA cannot effectively represent the interests of this student body. Leaders can speak all they wish about inclusivity or changing a culture. But without support—not in the form of votes, but in the form of participation—those words are simply words. To craft an efficient, effectual, and truly representative government, I need your help.

So today, I ask you to log on to sga.ua.edu and apply to be an SGA director or University standing committee member. Through these roles, you will have direct access to me, other elected members of the SGA, and University administrators. More importantly, you will be on the ground in moving our SGA and University forward. You will have a voice in how our SGA operates, in how we affect campus through our work and in how our collaboration will improve the University for years to come.

In the end, our SGA’s efficacy is a reflection of which individuals dedicate their time and energy. This University needs students of the highest caliber to do what is hard and achieve what is great. The projects, the ideas, the reforms will come. When they do, I want you at the table. I have immeasurable confidence in my fellow students, and our united potential to create an inclusive, transparent and accountable SGA is limitless.

James Fowler, a junior majoring in business and political science, is the SGA President.