Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar trades beach atmoshpere for quality seafood

Good seafood is rare in Tuscaloosa, but The Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar serves a variety of satisfying seafood options in an atmosphere that is, above all else, comfortable. I heard about Tin Top from several friends and coworkers, who all gave the place rave reviews. I have to admit my Gulf Coast roots made me skeptical. It had been a while since I had been with my half-Cajun, half-redneck family, and I was craving some serious seafood. Luckily, The Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar provided the perfect cure for my chronic Creole cravings.

The original Tin Top opened in 2004 in Gulf Shores, just 10 minutes away from the beach. Unfortunately, the Tuscaloosa location lacks that laid-back, salty flair. Instead, the restaurant is wedged in a shopping center on Rice Mine Road. Don’t let the humble exterior fool you, though. Once you walk inside, the place separates itself on several levels. For example, the blackout curtains and soft yellow lights give the dining room a cozy feel. The central fireplace adds to this effect. The walls are lined with chalkboards detailing the day’s menu. I’m used to run-down seafood shacks serving the best seafood, so this clean-cut dining room threw me off a little bit. When my food arrived, however, I was assured that I had chosen the right place.

I started off the night with oysters. I had a half-dozen raw, which were just as good as they would be anywhere else. What caught my attention were the “Oysters Tin Top.” These were served on the half shell, but baked with Parmesan and a thick sauce, complete with a crawfish tail in every shell. Normally I don’t go for cooked oysters unless they’re deep fried and served on a po’ boy, but these might have changed my mind for good. The restaurant also offers “The Dirty Dozen.” These oysters still come baked with Parmesan and crawfish sauce, but also feature Tasso ham.

Keeping with the Cajun theme, I ordered the shrimp etouffee. This dish was absolutely massive. Étouffée is a pretty hearty entrée, but the people at Tin Top don’t care. They serve you enough to fill up for the rest of the night and still take some home for later. I figured someone from Tin Top had New Orleans roots when I saw my étouffée. It wasn’t pretty, and that’s perfect. The étouffée was dark brown in color and packed a serious punch when it came to spices. My dad would always tell me, “It ain’t good until it makes your nose run.” I’m sure he would have approved.

The side dishes at Tin Top could be meals themselves. The fried green tomatoes had thick, golden brown breading, and the cheese grits were rich as Donald Trump. The star of the show was my order of lima beans and andouille sausage. This side dish was served in a cup with broth, and could serve as the perfect cure for “I don’t feel good because (blank).” I mixed this side with my étouffée, so I ended up with more of a hodge-podge jambalaya, and it was perfect.

The Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar gave me the taste of home that I so desperately needed. This restaurant tip toes the line between fancy and casual, so it would make for a great outing no matter the occasion. I had a great dinner experience, so now I’m looking forward to brunch and the early bird specials. (Then I can finally get that fried oyster po’ boy.)

Freshman duo make an impact for women’s team

Kentuck adds metal-working workshop to Art Night

Athletes’ GPA keeps up UA’s standard