Obasohan showing glimpses of his potential

Junior guard Trevor Releford lobbed a well-placed pass into the hands of freshman guard Retin Obasohan, who slammed it home to complete the alley-oop. But the basket did not count. The game clock ran out, and the Alabama men’s basketball team defeated South Carolina 68-58 Saturday at Coleman Coliseum.

Obasohan’s dunk did not count, but the play showed the potential the young Alabama guard possesses.

Head Coach Anthony Grant said Obasohan has only shown the people outside of the basketball program “flashes of his athleticism.”

“His athleticism, offensively and defensively, is different than the other guys that we have,” Grant said. “If he continues to work and improve like he has, I think he’s got a very bright future.”

Obasohan (6-1, 210 lbs.) hails from Antwerp, Belgium, and serves as a backup guard for the Crimson Tide. But he has recently seen his minutes increase because of his effort in practice. He was on the floor a total of 35 minutes in Alabama’s past three games, opposed to only eight minutes in the previous six contests.

Grant said Obasohan has earned the playing time with his ability to help his teammates improve during practice.

“I think with every game he’s getting more and more confidence,” Grant said. “He’s earned the opportunity to play with what he’s done in practice and his attitude, his approach to it. He’s a guy, to me, that’s got a tremendous upside, just in terms of what he’s capable of.

“He’s got a chance to be a lockdown defender.”

Obasohan is a blur when he steps on the court. His rapid hands confuse foes and allow him to reach in and steal the ball. His quick feet help him gallop up and down the court with ease.

But Obasohan is humble when it comes to his role on the team. He said he wants to continue to get better and prepare his teammates for upcoming opponents.

“My role, I feel like, is to bring it every day in practice and to just take opportunities,” Obasohan said. “If I get an opportunity, I have to be ready for when it presents itself. I think my biggest role is helping my teammates prepare for games and just making sure I’m ready when an opportunity presents itself.”

He scored eight points in 14 minutes against the Gamecocks. He also knocked down two of the Tide’s six 3-pointers in the game.

Sophomore guard Trevor Lacey said Obasohan is a change of pace from what opponents are used to seeing in himself and Releford.

“We know what Retin can do,” Lacey said. “Every day in practice, he’s tough, and we’re just waiting on his outbreak. Today he showed you some flashes of what he’s capable of. It just helps us out big time and takes some of the load off me and Releford.”

Alabama fans should prepare to see more of Obasohan’s athleticism in the future. Maybe those flashes of revelation will turn into halves or entire games.

Bama shortstop Mikey White named SEC Freshman of the Week

ARDT begins weeklong annual spring concert

Dance program grows to reflect international influence