Learn to dress outside usual fashion comfort zones ‘without apprehension’

In the fashion world, anything goes and nothing is off limits. In my time spent here at the Capstone, I haven’t noticed much affection paid to the whimsical nature that fashion often inspires. With fashion week nipping at my heels and with no plans (or money) to attend the grandiose New York event, I decided to spice up my regular weekend wardrobe to mimic the feelings acknowledged after a Prabal Gurung runway show: with a tutu.

Along with my lack of athletic ability came a lack of hand-eye coordination, grace and poise – basically everything you need to be a ballerina. I have always admired dancers and their effortless movements that caress the black mat of a stage. I love the sound delicate pointe shoes make on the scuffed floor, the sleek bun that wisps away stray hair that may detract fervent ballerina concentration, and the tutus.

Since I definitely couldn’t be a ballerina, I decided to dress as one. For me, fashion is most fun when you have a character in mind. A ballerina today, a bookworm tomorrow – that’s what makes fashion fun. Dress without apprehension.

For this particular Saturday, I found that the only thing I own worthy enough to pair with such grandiose proportions is my great aunt’s mink stole. Go big or go home, right? I was told she only wore it on Christmas, but I figured a tutu-clad wannabe vogue-er dancing on busy roads is just as great of an occasion. In real life, if I wasn’t just playing dress up, I’d stick to my plain polka-dot T-shirt underneath. It lets the skirt do the talking all while channeling my “Sex and the City” alter-ego.

I suppose tutus aren’t the only way to jazz up one’s usual wardrobe, but I challenge the ladies and gentlemen of Tuscaloosa to step outside their usual fashion comfort zone and dawn the most extravagant avant-garde ensemble they can think of. There doesn’t need to be a special occasion (although Valentine’s Day is coming up and what better way to tell someone you love them than to dress a little out there? It says you’re comfortable around them).

And in Tuscaloosa, there really is no event that would require an average citizen to sport a tutu, so in essence, that’s what makes it fun. To my Tuscaloosa fashionistas, make this February interesting, as the Quad needs a break from leggings every once in a while.

Sexual consent concerns on campus

Inaugural event to screen films about modern-day issues in Africa 

LeaderShape to host information session for interested applicants