Focus on the bigger issue

The forum of political debate is filled with the same “crises” that have dominated the last fifty years: the threat of nuclear weapons and terrorism, yet another war, global poverty, the environmental decay of the Earth, land conflicts, etc.

While these subjects may have some relevance, they are ultimately shortsighted. The real emergency, far more existential in its dimension of threat than anything Osama bin Laden could dream of, as well as free of any of the religious or geopolitical biases which so often drive the violence of humans, is burning a dubious intensity, 150 million kilometers away.

The sun, the ticking time bomb of solar proportions around which we make our daily rotation and annual revolution, the provider of energy and life, has become the primary international security threat of our lifetime.

Consider the so-called crises listed above: nuclear weapons are quickly becoming a faux pas, and besides there are bomb shelters all over the place; the chances of dying from falling over in the shower are greater than dying in an act of terrorism; global poverty will soon be eradicated as Sam Walton introduces his formula of bulk foods and severely low prices to the rest of the world; and so it goes.

Yet the probability of the sun imploding and destroying all of humanity is a perfect, inescapable 100 percent, which is why we must urge our leaders to begin discussion on protective anti-solar legislation to keep our families and way of life safe.

Some argue that the great length of time estimated to lapse before this annihilation occurs should force it to a back burner, yet we must not allow those afraid to look boldly into the future to drag the rest of us down with them.

Edward Mostoller is a sophomore majoring in political science.