Vintage vendors unite for Northport Market

Lori Watts, owner of This Ol’ Thing Vintage, a sales and estate service, has come together with friends, Sylvia Parker – also known as DJ Tom Kat Kitten – and Jamie Cicatiella, owner of Grace Aberdeen Habitat Alchemy, to curate a collection of vintage vendors for the first 5th Street Vintage Market.

The three have been working hard to bring together vendors from all over the region to sell their wares, some for the first time offline, in downtown Northport on Sunday, Dec. 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

“I’ve been in the [vintage] business for about 20 years, and it’s all people I knew and bought and sold from in the past,” Watts said. “We didn’t want a flea market; we wanted something different. That’s why we called it a curated market.”

More than 30 vendors ranging from vinyl stores to vintage clothing and up-cycled furniture to antique housewares will be in attendance. For some vendors, this will be their first time to sell their goods in person.

“I found that a lot of our dealers have huge online shops on Etsy and Ebay, but we’re getting them out from behind their computers so that [they] can face the public,” Watts said.

Serena Fortenberry, an English professor at The University of Alabama, is excited to tend her first cash register at the Vintage Market. She has sold her goods in local antique stores but has found Etsy to be the easiest way to sell her items without having to trek across town with carloads of antiques and vintage clothes. She recently sold a vintage bedspread via Etsy to the set of “Mad Men.”

“This is indeed the first time that I will be selling items in person,” Fortenberry said. “Hopefully, this Vintage Market will at the very least give us some exposure. And for those who try to shop local, well, here we are.”

Sylvia Parker, friend of Lori Watts and one of the curators for the 5th Street Vintage Market, has been collecting vinyl records since she was a teenager. After moving back to Tuscaloosa from New York City, she decided to share her collection with the community as a DJ at local venues.

“From the time I was very young, I had an interest in history, and I loved to watch old movies,” Parker said. “As soon as I got old enough to buy things, I started shopping in thrift stores and buying vintage jewelry and clothes.”

Parker said the new Birmingham, Ala., record store, Birmingham Records, will be selling at the market. She is excited to help share with the Tuscaloosa community what vintage vendors have to offer.

“I think it will be great for people who are interested in these types of things,” Parker said. “There will be people at the market who don’t normally sell locally. It gives all of those people an opportunity to expand their business.”

The 5th Street Vintage Market will be held at the Northport pavilion by Kentuck on Dec. 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The three curators hope to continue the Market into the spring, possibly making it a monthly event.

“This is a great opportunity for students to get a break before finals week, to find some unique Christmas gifts for folks back home, and to maybe score a few finds for themselves,” Fortenberry said. “Fashion and design trends right now suggest that everything old is new again, so why not go the authentic route and find the real deal when hunting for retro and vintage looks? It’s recycling at its very best.”