St. Jude organization to host awareness week

Up ‘til Dawn, a student-run organization at The University of Alabama that raises money for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, Tenn., will raise awareness for its cause through many fundraisers throughout the week.

Up ‘til Dawn began on campus in 2006 to raise awareness and funds for the pediatric hospital that searches for cures for childhood cancer and other catastrophic diseases. The organization has raised $113,303.86 in the six years since it has been established on campus.

Reid Zelinka, a freshman from Memphis majoring in nursing, said there is a point of pride in having St. Jude as part of her hometown.

“St. Jude has, of course, always been very close to my heart. And I know that it’s a big deal in our community back home, but it is really great to know that it reaches further than that,” Zelinka said. “The fact that St. Jude has inspired people and organizations all over to want to help is just beyond fantastic.”

The organization will be at the Ferguson Center every day this week from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., providing information about St. Jude’s and hosting a raffle for a football signed by Crimson Tide quarterback AJ McCarron.

Additionally, Up ‘til Dawn will host several fundraisers throughout the week.

On Wednesday from 5 to 8 p.m., customers of the Northport Chick-fil-A can donate 10 percent of their purchase to the organization upon presentation of a flyer that will be distributed at the Ferguson Center table on Wednesday.

Up ‘til Dawn will also host a fundraiser at Zoe’s Kitchen in Bryant-Denny Stadium from 4 to 9 p.m. on Thursday, receiving 15 percent of the sales.

Friday, from 8 to 10 a.m., members of the group will distribute hot chocolate and information about St. Jude Hospital in front of Reese Phifer Hall.

“Throughout the year, we raise funds and awareness for St. Jude in various ways, but the biggest aspect of Up ‘til Dawn is the letter writing campaign that we hold in the spring,” Lindsey Green, a junior majoring in public relations and the executive director for Up ‘til Dawn, said. “Teams of students – usually sponsored by student organizations – compete by addressing pre-written letters to friends, family and neighbors. The grand finale is an event that, this year, will be in the Zone in Bryant-Denny Stadium on March 7 from 7 to 10 p.m. There will be food, music, activities and prizes for students.”

To get involved with Up ‘til Dawn, email [email protected].