A&M game offers Texas students change to experience new, old traditions

For some out-of-state students who call Texas home, Saturday’s matchup is a chance to let their old and new traditions meet and get a taste of home in their new environment. For others, the game could be a test of their loyalties as they cheer on both the Aggies and the Tide.

Brent Bielefeldt, a junior majoring in mechanical engineering, is not a Texas A&M fan, but is excited for chance to be included in new rivalries that out-of-state students sometimes miss out on.

“When you go out of state you aren’t really a part of the rivalries that your friends who went to state schools have, so it’s really cool to start a new rivalry with [A&M] because you’re more included in it,” he said.

Caroline Spillane, a freshman majoring in dance, was excited when A&M joined the SEC, even though it meant leaving behind traditional rivals like the University of Texas.

“It’s weird to think [A&M] won’t be playing UT anymore, but I’m excited that they’re going to play bigger schools,” she said. “I think [A&M] is going to be a stronger team because they’ll have to fight for their titles.”

The A&M game will offer Texas students the opportunity to experience traditions old and new. Spillane has taken the opportunity to share her new culture with friends at A&M. Spillane said UA traditions like Homecoming Week have a more Southern feel, but A&M traditions like yell practice and chugging a beer to get your class ring are just a strong.

“[Texas is] my home and [Alabama] is my new home, so it’s like meshing the two together,” Spillane said. “[A&M] has strong traditions, but we [UA] have strong traditions in a different way.”

Bielefeldt has also used A&M’s entrance into the SEC to teach his friends back home about UA traditions.

“You learn a lot about traditions growing up because you see them everywhere, so its cool to see [A&M] bring their traditions to the SEC and introduce my friends that go to A&M to a lot of our traditions.”

The large population of Texas students at the University of Alabama has the potential to change the feeling of the student section, but Bielefeldt and Spillane believe, while they might feel more connected to this game, most Texans will be pulling for the Tide.

Though Spillane and Bielefeldt will be cheering for Alabama, not all Texans will let school affiliation totally trump lifelong state loyalty. Houston native Katie Bayless, a junior majoring in chemical engineering, is a lifelong Texas A&M fan. She will be sporting both A&M maroon and an Alabama button on Saturday to reconcile her two fandoms.

Bayless is optimistic about about how A&M will perform on Saturday and plans to enjoy the game no matter what the outcome.

“I am very excited to see A&M come to Alabama. I feel like it is going to be a good game,” she said.

Bayless, whose parents both attended Texas A&M, is excited to participate in A&M traditions like yell practice, a pep rally where an elite group known as Yell Captains teach A&M cheers. More than anything, Bayless is excited to experience a taste of home and enjoy both of her teams.

“Honestly, I don’t care who wins as long as it is a good and close game,” Bayless said.