Music fraternity hosts American music benefit concert

The sisters of Sigma Alpha Iota Music Fraternity invite The University of Alabama to join them in celebrating the legacy and the future of American music Wednesday, Oct. 10, in the Moody Music Building.

“This concert has the dual purpose of both celebrating music written by American composers and supporting the local music programs, which are two of the aims of our fraternity,” Allison Jack, editor of the Theta Delta chapter of SAI, said.

Jack said the mission of SAI is to encourage, nurture and support the art of music.

“Sigma Alpha Iota is a fraternity for women which promotes interaction among those who share a commitment to music,” Jack said.

The Theta Delta chapter was chartered at the University in 1994 and the fraternity has 116,317 initiated members worldwide as of August 2012.

The University’s SAI chapter currently has 26 active members, majoring in everything from music performance, music education and music therapy to advertising, telecommunications and film, women’s studies, biology, chemistry and more.

The concert will feature works by composers Aaron Copland, John Philip Sousa, Samuel Barber and George Crumb, as well as UA student composers Timothy Gibbons, Justin Langham and Derek Holden.

The Capstone String Quartet, UA Brass Ensemble, Chamber Wind Ensemble and the Afro-American Gospel Choir will also provide musical contributions.

“We are expecting many students and faculty to be in attendance for our concert,” Cindy Simpson, president of SAI, said. “The high caliber of performers has attracted a lot of attention from the School of Music.”

Jack said members of local music programs are also encouraged to attend.

“We invited members and directors of high school music programs from Tuscaloosa and the surrounding area to come see our unique and free concert, as most concerts at Moody cost $3,” Jack said.

At the end of the concert, SAI will present two local music programs with monetary awards.

“Each guest at our concert will select a school to support, and the two schools with the most supporters will be given monetary prizes to be used for the furtherance of their music programs,” Simpson said.

Votes for which program will be awarded will be cast at a check-in table.

“It is beneficial for high school students to come, bring people and vote for their school,” Jack said.

The money for these contributions was raised through SAI’s September Change Drive in honor of National Classical Music Month. SAI decided to match the proceeds from the fundraiser so they could give out two awards at the concert.

Prior to the concert, there will be a bake sale in the lobby of Moody Music Building from 6:45 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., where guests have the opportunity to purchase homemade baked goods for 50 cents to a dollar. Proceeds benefit music-related causes such as local music programs and the SAI Philanthropies, Inc.

The event is free and open to the public. Doors open at 7 p.m., with the event beginning at 7:30.