International students sound off about typical Alabama day-wear

I have never been a fan of the Nike Tempos and extra-large T-shirt uniform sported by the majority of female students here at the University. I cannot wrap my head around why everyone would want to look the same, comfort aside. I think comfort can easily be achieved without swapping style for an ill-fitting T-shirt and neon tennis shoes. With that said, I also understand the majority of the ladies reading this column may not care what I think is appropriate day-wear.

I decided to take look at outside sources, international students with no previously conceived biased, to see their first reactions to UA women and their normal class outfits.

Lucy Cheseldine, a 20-year-old American Literature major from Leeds, England, asked the first day she got to Tuscaloosa if everyone was going to the gym after seeing the superfluous amounts of athletic clothing around campus.

“It’s very different from British fashion. People don’t seem to care about what they wear,” Cheseldine said. “Everyone wears sportswear for day-wear, and people all dress very similarly.”

A popular argument for sporting athletic gear to class is that some students do not care. This seems contradictory when the sportswear is paired with expensive name-brand tennis shoes, creaseless hair ties, Michael Kors watches and David Yurman jewelry.

Marta Dell’Adami, a 21-year-old philosophy major from Vernona, Italy, chalks the relaxed clothing choices up to the equally relaxed campus atmosphere.

“We are more formal when we go to school,” Dell’Adami said. “Here, it is totally informal. It’s like you’re at home.”

Granted, a homey school atmosphere is something to be praised, but we, as students, should take pride in our academically sound, national championship-winning University by dressing like we care.

Aylin Wispeler, a 23-year-old business major from Germany, refuses to sport her suitcase full of trendy dresses and colored jeans, fearing a harsh gaze from the aforementioned sportswear-clad students.

“The first day, I had the impression that I would be the only one in proper clothes not wearing gym pants,” Wispeler said. “I see some girls who are really nicely dressed, but most are in sports clothes. I do not really see a lot of fashion here on campus.”

I love my school, and I love the fellow students that accompany me to class, but I do not like the fashion rut we have dug ourselves into. Take this as a call to action, a rallying of the troops. I know you fellow fashionistas have it in you to work the creative outfits seen on the Strip at night and in Bryant-Denny on game weekends.

The South is known for our beautiful women and classy charm, both of which are lacking here on campus when it comes to daytime outfits. Ladies, you are better than the frumpy silhouette of a T-shirt three sizes too big and shorts with built-in underwear.