Tuscaloosa offers options for game day fashion

The women of The University of Alabama can be quick to condemn Tuscaloosa as a place completely void of any decent shopping experiences and assume trips to Birmingham’s Summit and Galleria are necessary monthly events to catch up with the latest trends. We may not have a huge number of trendy boutiques, but the stores we do have are more than adequate for all of our sartorial game day needs.

I decided to share my quest for a game day outfit that could also transition into everyday wear in hopes of helping out a fellow spirited fashion lover.

I decided to shop White House Black Market at Midtown Village, hoping the name meant I could find pieces featuring the colors associated with the famous Paul “Bear” Bryant houndstooth hat. The overall aesthetic of the store may seem too matronly for the average college student, but on closer evaluation, WHBM revealed plenty of classically styled pencil skirts, ankle length pants and structured tops that are a must for every girl’s closet.

Luckily for Alabama fans, red was the featured accent color found throughout the store of black and white apparel. This made it easy to find appropriate game day combinations of red pants with a patterned black and white top or a houndstooth skirt with a red sweater. If you are the sort of girl who gives way to comfort when strutting the game day runway known as the Quad sidewalk, WHBM had an extensive collection of black, white and red heels perfect for pairing with pencil skirts and patterned dresses.

In addition to the classic pieces found at WHBM, I decided to check out the game day trends at two boutiques on the Strip. Private Gallery proved ideal for the woman who refuses to wear the red, jersey-knit, one-shouldered dress that almost every girl on campus wears to the first game. PG featured everything from grey brocade-style shorts and sheer crimson button-downs to bright red rompers and houndstooth pea coats. This store is perfect for a more abstract game day look that emphasizes current trends rather than typical game day fashions.

Sassy Britches, also located on the Strip, contained a plethora of game day apparel options, much like Private Gallery’s and equally as expensive. I expected with less brand name items, SB would be the more economic option of the two, but I was surprised. SB featured red patterned prints, which seem to be the most popular game day look and I found myself loving the houndstooth print shorts offered at SB – perfect for the rest of the September games.

After Saturday’s game, I was able to conclude many UA women saved their brand new game day dresses for the more “important” home games after seeing the vast amount of football jerseys that Saturday’s female fans adorned. If you have not found the perfect outfit for this season of Crimson Tide football, I suggest you check out local stores before heading to Birmingham. After all, no one knows Tuscaloosa trends better than Tuscaloosa. We are number one and we should dress like it.