Black and white looks instead of color blocking popular trend for fall

With summer classes coming to a close and only a few weeks to breathe before the fall semester, the fashion world is kicking into high gear with the switching of focus from summer to fall. Away with resort collections and bikini-clad models and in with the richness that is fall 2012.

One trend perfect for planning anyone’s back-to-school wardrobe is contrasting black and white elements. Be it a print or contrasting shirt and pant, the opposing colors have been seen gracing fall runways such as Alexander Wang and Phillip Lim. The University of Alabama is way ahead of this trend, with houndstooth already a staple in every girl’s gameday wardrobe.

I don’t know about you, but my favorite part of going back to school as an elementary school child was the new jeans and tennis shoes shopping. For fall, better known in Tuscaloosa as an extension of summer heat alongside changing leaves, black and white pieces can be made staples in a student’s back-to-school wardrobe.

This trend makes shopping a breeze. Black and white jeans are a great start to achieving this look and are probably already in the closets of those who joined the colored denim club earlier this spring. Try pairing a sleek black denim pant with a breezy white tank and finish it off with a great black bag. White jeans or cutoffs can be worn with a black peplum top, another must-have this fall, or black leather jacket. If two colors simply are not enough to make your outfit complete, try adding another neutral so as not to detract from the high impact colors. A denim chambray shirt is a relaxed neutral option to break up the all black or all white ensemble.

The combinations are endless with this color duo. Black and white together make a strong impact otherwise muddled by an array of brights or pastels.

Currently, there are a number of bold black and white patterned pieces seen in multiple stores such as H&M and Forever 21, both affordable options for the college fashionista.

Black and white ensembles are nothing new in fashion, but the sophisticated simplicity is often forgotten or deemed boring and dated. The contrasts have always been staples in fashion, i.e. the little black dress, a strand of pearls, black pumps. Chanel and Valencia have always been known for the classic black and white pieces that remain relevant today.

Better said in Harper’s Bazaar August 2012 issue, “Consider it anti-color blocking. Achromatic hues are even chicer when worn together.” The spread contains white jeans worn with a black leather jacket, as well as a multitude of black and white accessories.

Whether you are a fashion addict or free spirit who refuses to follow trends, black and white are great wardrobe staples to have in your closet and can be transformed into an array of statement-making outfits.