In response to: “Classical music survives, but only teachers and students of the genre listen”

I am glad Cheyenne Paiva wrote her opinions piece, ‘Classical music survives, but only teachers and students of the genre listen.’ Whenever and in whatever medium possible, we want feedback on the experience students have at the University of Alabama School of Music.

However, given the piece’s largely negative tone, I feel the need to respond in several ways. First, I want to recognize again that her opinion is much appreciated, and an individual’s passionate perceptions will help us make our programs better. Next, I want to point out that one person’s experience should not shape people’s entire perceptions of the school, especially given the sweeping generalizations and unsubstantiated claims made by Ms. Paiva.

Also, I want to tout the current success of the music department while recognizing our constant need for growth, innovation and improvement. Despite the bleak picture Ms. Paiva’s piece painted of UA’s Music Department, there are many key successes and strengths we possess, from an award-winning UA Opera program to an outstanding marching band that is celebrating its 100th anniversary.

In addition, each year, Moody is host to many camps that bring in students of all ages and talent levels, and they learn what it is to be a musician. They return year after year and often fall in love with music and the School of Music. Programs like Strings in Schools have public school students learning and loving classical music, and our UA Opera Theatre also has traditional operas twice a year that the audience members, both young and old, love. I’m emphasizing these strengths only because, according to Ms. Paiva’s letter, one would believe very little or nothing happens in Moody that attempts to reach beyond our doors and be inclusive to all those interested in furthering their understanding, appreciation and/or knowledge of music.

Every year, Moody hosts more than 200 events from student recitals, community music events, large ensembles and much more, and those events are popular. Even our streaming live online initiative allows forhundreds and sometimes thousands of viewers. The idea that ‘you don’t belong’ at Moody is just not true. We are always inviting people in the doors to hear whatever we are playing at the moment. Nonetheless, I consider it my mission to not only debunk these perceptions, but also to make sure that no other student feels like Ms. Paiva with respect to their experience here in the School of Music.

Further, the suggestion that we are so insulated stands in stark contrast to our mission and our current activities. For example, we have an entire office called Community Music devoted to working with the UA community, trying to create a welcoming environment for all who love music or want to learn more about music. Consequently, Community Music has 1,100 people taking classes, working one-on-one with instructors, and they report having a wonderful time while learning the art of music.

Going beyond that, we place our students in music therapy internships and jobs in the community, in programs like RISE and with patients at Bryce. Our students take their love of music and go into many fields, such as music management, music performance, engineering, communications and other fields.

We hope many of these students and their future families will also have an appreciation for the music, and we enjoy working with both current students and alumni. Ms. Paiva correctly points out that there is no “music listening degree,” but our students are encouraged and sometimes required to attend these events, not to be a professional music listener, but to expand their view of the world, inspire creativity and provide a pleasured escape the stresses of campus life. In addition, there are several groups and individuals in our community that attend and enjoy simply listening to the various genres, as well as classical music, because they like it.

Our mission and sincere desire is to expand, and we invite the Tuscaloosa community, including the entire University’s students, as well students of other schools, such as Shelton State or Stillman, to join us at our many events held throughout the year.

We encourage you to visit music.ua.edu throughout the year to get information about upcoming events. This year, we will host the U.S. Coast Guard Band, our Master’s Series will feature true masters of their respective crafts and an interdisciplinary celebration of the Concert Hall’s Holtkamp organ, as well as many other events. Come in and let us entertain you!

Tiffany Schwarz is the arts events coordinator for the University of Alabama School of Music.