Musings of a has-been

Musings of a has-been

Had I been asked to write this article a year or even six months ago, my perspective on my time at the University of Alabama would have been completely different. I would have used phrases like “open dialogue” and “change the culture.” Six months ago, I might have pontificated on the importance of leadership and involvement, preached on the need for openness and honesty across campus, and I probably would have made one last call to action for unity. But that kind of change won’t come from one of these farewell columns in The Crimson White (no offense), nor do I feel myself qualified to make those statements and pass those judgments.

If I’ve learned one thing during my tenure at the University, it’s that our time here is merely a part of the journey — not the destination. In just a few weeks, thousands of students will walk across the stage in Coleman Coliseum, collect their diplomas and move on. In August, thousands of students will return to campus, while an ever-increasing number of new students will join them. Some students will join multiple organizations, start volunteering and set out on their own paths. Other students will be perfectly content with attending class (or not) and never having to attend an organization’s meeting while on campus. And you know what? That’s okay, too. If our time at this University is just a part of the journey, then by all means, enjoy it. We all have our own path — who am I to tell you how to walk it? Do what makes you happy and find fulfillment in that.

My grandfather always said, “At the end of the day, relationships matter.” As my undergraduate career comes to a close, I find this statement to be more relevant now than ever before. I cannot properly pay tribute to my time at this University without mentioning the wonderful women I’ve come to know and love through Chi Omega (cheesy, I know, but it had to be said). I’ll also never forget the late nights spent in Nott Hall studying — but mostly making up organic chemistry puns that never seemed to help on the tests (aryl chemist drives a benzene). Chemistry labs were never boring as we (I) recklessly weighed chemicals, broke glassware, and caused minor beaker explosions. Through Panhellenic, I made the absolute best of friends — it’s hard to have a YouTube video go viral and not form some pretty solid relationships in the process — and worked with the most amazing individuals. In the weeks following the tornado, I saw the strength and resilience of the UA community and was overwhelmed by the compassion and generosity of this group. The administration of this University is accessible and passionate about their students. I am thankful for the opportunity to have benefitted from their knowledge and experience.

So, as a supposedly wise, but mostly a has-been senior, here’s my advice: Form lasting friendships — these are accomplishments that will always matter; make mistakes — we learn more from experience than any textbook; and enjoy the journey.

Ashley Getwan is the former Panhellenic Association president.