Festivals spur boho look for summer

Festivals spur boho look for summer

Students here at the University of Alabama know all about summer music festivals, such as The Hangout and Bonnaroo, and are most likely already going — but have you ever heard of Coachella? The music and arts festival takes place in Coachella Valley, Calif., and comes with a hefty admission price. It just wrapped up its second weekend, showcasing artists such as Florence and the Machine, Bon Iver, Radiohead, La Roux and The Black Keys.

It is similar to Bonnaroo in that festivalgoers are able to camp on-site and the “inner-hippie” is embraced. Celebrities such as Emma Watson, Gerard Butler, Karlie Kloss, Lindsey Lohan and Katy Perry all attended this year’s Coachella. With said celebrities in attendance, it is not surprising that what people are wearing is almost as important as the music being played in regards to news attention.

In its 11 years of existence, Coachella fashion has been recognized in Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue and refinery29.com for both celebrity and fan fashion. It has been known recently for its laidback-chic style — an updated, more put-together hipster look, if you will. Fashion bloggers from all over pack in advance, anticipating recognition for their Coachella style interpretation. Instagram, the popular photo-sharing app, has gotten in on the fashion extravaganza, allowing readers to share their style experience with #coachellafashion.

Don’t be too bummed if you missed out on the music and style extravaganza — the fashion experience is predicted to live on through summer trends, and you’re probably already going to see the musicians at The Hangout.

Cut-off shorts are a must-have for all things Coachella. Midriff-baring tops and long skirts are also a popular go-to combination. Bikini tops were dressed up and shown off as tops, and flower crowns adorned every girl’s middle-parted, tousled hairstyle. Stars were spotted in all things vintage; everything was fringed, ripped, studded and trimmed with faux fur. Every look was perfectly accessorized with fedoras, floppy hats and turquoise and gold jewelry.

These looks are perfect casual outfits for the summer. Whether it’s the beach you’re headed to or back home, the flowy skirts and tiny tops will certainly keep you cool in the heat of summertime. To achieve the Coachella look, head out to a local thrift store for some mom jeans you can cut off for the perfect length shorts; you can add a platform sandal to update the look from sloppy to stylish or snag your lace-up combat boots from your winter closet for a casual combination. High-low skirts are everywhere and are perfect for this comfy-cool summer style. Pair it with a cropped t-shirt or a dressy tank.

Coachella seems to be a place where stars can pull out their “play clothes” and relax. Each outfit is carefully constructed to add a little hippie-chic to their ensemble, something to dress up their T-shirt and shorts. To some, this may seem a little too committed to one look, but you can easily take pieces from Coachella trends and make them your own.