The importance of spaying and neutering

Bama Paws is the UA campus chapter of T-Town PAWS, Tuscaloosa’s Animal Welfare Organization. Our chapter is over 100 members strong, full of students who love pets and care about their welfare.

I am writing because I am concerned about the growing population of unwanted animals in Tuscaloosa. Unfortunately, there are far more homeless pets than adoptive homes. And, despite increased community-wide rescue efforts, thousands of homeless animals are still euthanized annually in Tuscaloosa County.

Pets are pricey, especially for a college student. When you consider the costs of veterinarian fees, food and grooming, the small budget of a college student shrinks dramatically. Spaying or neutering your pet can seem like another unnecessary cost associated with pet ownership, but this is one expense that is essential.

Although spaying or neutering can be expensive, there are low-cost options available. Alabama Spay/Neuter provides transportation for Tuscaloosa pets to and from its Birmingham clinic. For more information on costs and the transportation service, visit the Alabama Spay/Neuter Clinic’s website.

While pet overpopulation is a problem here in Tuscaloosa, there is a simple solution: spaying or neutering your pet. As students and residents of Tuscaloosa, it’s up to all of us to do our part to end pet overpopulation — one dog or cat at a time.

Humanely Yours.

Lauren Spivey is the president of Bama PAWS.