Spring Spectrum Concert and Bark to the Beat Music 5K: A look into upcoming School of Music events

CW / Elijah McWhorter

The School of Music has been a vital component of The University of Alabama’s vibrant campus since opening in 1987. The school, which is based within Moody Music Building, teaches over 400 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels.  

According to the School of Music’s website, its mission is to serve the community and region through musical education, service and performance. 

With an emphasis on community, discipline and passion, the School of Music aims to support and push members toward their goals. The school organizes various concerts and performances that allow students to express their love for music with various genres, styles and instruments. 

On Feb. 2, the school will host its Spring Spectrum Concert at Moody Music Building from 7:30-9 p.m. The concert is advertised as a paid event featuring a demonstration of the “full spectrum of art and talent” by faculty and music students. 

Charlie Snead, director of the School of Music, oversees the operations for the school’s student body, faculty and staff. Also serving as professor of horn, Snead shares the importance of the music school as an academic program for talented musicians, but also as a creative entity where each member plays a vital part in its success.  

“They are consistently working with each other, for each other, dependent on the success and commitment of those around them,” Snead said. “That breeds a distinctive and unique sense of community among our students, faculty, and staff.” 

The School of Music aims not only to educate students but also to host events supporting local businesses and nonprofits in Tuscaloosa.  

On April 6 from 8-11 a.m., the Bark to the Beat Music 5K will benefit the Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter, a nonprofit organization with a vision “to inspire community involvement in animal welfare and motivate the public to embrace responsible lifelong pet ownership.” 

Kevin Woosley, race director for the upcoming 5K and senior instructor of class piano at the University, shared excitement for the event’s premiere. The Bark to the Beat Music 5K will display local musical talents and provide support and entertainment for participants, all while giving back to a community organization.  

“This event will be a unique experience for all who participate!” Woosley said. “UA and high school musical ensembles will provide the soundtrack along the way.” 

The Tuscaloosa Metro Animal Shelter will have many animals present at the event and invite nonparticipants to attend the event and cheer on friends and family.  

Tickets are advertised for the community starting at $20 a person, and the price will increase on Jan. 31. The race will begin just across from the School of Music at Butler Field, the home of the Million Dollar Band. Participants under 19 who are not enrolled at the University must be accompanied by a legal guardian, according to the event’s website.  

Runners and walkers will receive T-shirts and snacks as they participate in the event. An exciting introduction to the spring season, the Bark to the Beat Music 5K provides an opportunity to celebrate artistic expression, athleticism and animal welfare.  

The School of Music will also host free events open to the public, including a performance by the UA Symphonic Band on Feb. 21 at 7:30 p.m. and a UA Concert and University Band performance on Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m., both held at Moody Music Building.  

“Our students are an energetic and committed group, achieving excellent results on an annual basis across all of our disciplines, garnering consistent and impressive national and international accolades,” Snead said. “The opportunity to be immersed in that environment daily is who we are in the School of Music, the reason our faculty comes to work every day, and why we enthusiastically look forward to what we get to do.”