Alabama Print and Book Group shares artwork and raises money through tabling event

CW / Ava Morthland
Students browse prints at the Print Sale event.

Alabama Print and Book Group held a tabling event Tuesday to sell prints, shirts and patches to raise money for its printmaking workshop.  

The group aims to build a community and bring awareness to the arts through educational travel, workshops, guest lectures and sale events.  

Jamie Breault, a senior majoring in marketing and the events coordinator for the print club, said that within two hours of the event they were able to make over $400. 

“A lot of us just like making art anyway, and by selling it we have the funds to continue making it,” Breault said. 

The print club expects to have three more tabling events this year. 

Meredith Dai, a neuroscience major, and Amelia Barilleaux, a biology major, are both freshmen who joined the club to have a creative outlet on campus. 

“I like finding people that are similar to me and have a similar sense of humor that can also enjoy my art,” Barilleaux said. 

Barilleaux also said that the print club has encouraged her to minor in art. 

“If you’ve ever been in a high school art class, that’s exactly how it feels like, and that’s a great feeling to have,” Dai said. “Everyone can work and talk at the same time, and it’s easy to make new friends and try new things here.” 

John Klosterman, an instructor in drawing and foundations and one of the club’s advisers, said that the community has been outstanding and that students have been able to learn about the medium of printmaking and develop their interest in art deeper.  

“What I remember from my undergraduate is that the club created a community. It was a place where, even if you’re making artwork or just hanging out with friends, you’re establishing a community and making amazing work,” Klosterman said.