Retro femininity a hot trend this spring

Last Thursday, after the glorious spout of spring weather, Tuscaloosa collectively decided that spring clothes were ready to be dug out of boxes and placed in the forefront of our closets. Indian summers like these often prove hard to dress appropriately for. Spring technically begins March 20, but I do not think spring fashion trends can wait around much longer.

“What’s old is new again” is always a prevalent theme in the fashion world. This spring, the 1950s girlish look of high waists and peter pan collars has made a noticeable appearance on the runways. The boho grunge styles of 2011 have left their mark on college students, but it is the nipped waists, put-together pastels and feminine silhouettes that might inspire a new look for 2012.

I know this look is not new, per se, but fashion is all about change. The more drastic, the better. The neutral, holey, oversized curtain of last season has been drawn to reveal retro femininity.

The boldness of full A-line skirts may cause college gals to shy away and stick to the bandage miniskirt on a night out, but there are many ways to graze the surface of the retro trend without looking like you stepped out of “Mad Men” or “Pan Am.” An A-line tea-length skirt can be updated by pairing it with a dark strappy shoe and a printed tank top.

Another quick way to embrace the 1950s through your wardrobe is pastels. Pastels have popped up everywhere. Elle magazine’s March issue features an entire spread on different ways to wear pastel colors. From nail polish to handbags, swimsuits to button-downs, Easter eggs have left their mark on spring 2012. A pastel short sleeve collared shirt can be worn tucked into any shorts or skirt combo to create the perfect demurely sweet 50s ensemble. Audacious accessories, such as chunky necklaces or wedges, can bring any of these looks into the 2000s instead of looking like you skipped out of a sock hop.

Bright lipstick is also a fun and easy way to spruce up your look while skimming the edge of the ladylike 1950s era. CoverGirl has a great line of “editor’s pick” lipsticks that are pretty for the spring season. Bright red or coral work great on all skin tones and will give you an instant upgrade. Not to mention, lipstick just makes you feel chic and sophisticated when you put it on – instant upgrade.

Note: June Cleaver may be an inspiration for style, but certainly not attitude. Just because your clothes imitate a pre-feminist era, there will be no sandwich making.

Stores like modcloth.com, Anthropologie and H&M offer a variety of wearable retro clothing. It just so happens an H&M is opening in Huntsville later this spring. Get excited, fellow Alabamians. Tuscaloosa just recently got involved with the retro trend by opening a vintage clothing store downtown, Prose & Palaver.

Though you might not be inspired to wake up 10 minutes earlier to spruce up the usual norts and frocket tee, an occasional appearance upgrade can be helpful in boosting confidence and feeling successful throughout the day. It is spring! Dawn your most ladylike frock, slip on a long strand of pearls, or try a new lipstick. College can be a time of trying new things, and fashion is not exempt. The 1950s have made their mark on the runways and can be easily transposed onto any collegiate fashionista.