SGA should consider drinking ban if considering campus smoking ban

The UA Student Government Association is trying their hardest to ban smoking. While they are at it, they should also ban drinking on campus. I am a smoker but not a drinker. I have yet to hear anyone say that they cannot walk across the quad in flip-flops due to smokers. On the other hand, more than once I have heard that people are scared to walk across the quad due to broken beer bottles, puke and other disgusting alcohol related things.

I have personally seen on more than one occasion people outside of frat houses and dorms picking up alcoholic beverage containers as early as 7 a.m. I have also personally seen beer cans and bottles lying on the steps going into buildings. I have seen the piles of puke and food thrown all over the ground of the quad during tailgating season. The bottle tops thrown on the ground could probably pave a road.

What is the SGA doing about the alcohol problem on campus? They are aiding in making it worse. Just recently they have enlisted new bus routes at night to take on-campus residents to popular spots in town. Now, I read in The Crimson White how one of the reasons was to help slow down driving under the influence. So, instead of promoting not drinking or responsibility, our campus government is promoting drinking as long as you do not drive. What about the mess?

Also, while we are on the subject, yes, it has been said that smoking can cause cancer. That has also been said about not eating enough green vegetables and a list of other things. I have yet to see statistics that say smoking has caused 16,000 accidents a year. According to Drunk Driving Facts, that number is the estimated number of alcohol related crashes every year.

On to other health issues: Saving the world from potential lung cancer seems like a noble cause. It really is, but at the same time, you are promoting liver problems. They are going to protect everyone from cancer, but allow them to continue to ruin their liver. There is also alcohol poisoning to consider. Are they really trying to save lives?

While they are promoting alcohol and persecuting smokers, maybe they should concentrate on what really matters. Things like the fact that as I waited outside Gorgas Library on Friday for a Crimson bus to take me to my next class, I had to wait through two blue express buses and a blue route. A blue express and a blue route pulled up together. Following that was yet another blue route. Why are we making things better for drinkers, and persecuting smokers, yet we cannot always rely on the bus system to get to class on time. The SGA really needs to rethink their decision-making skills, especially in light of last semester’s issues.

Cynthia Blake is a senior majoring in journalism.