HRC hosts second annual Bama Idol

University of Alabama Housing and Residential Communities are putting on their second annual Bama Idol singing competition, modeled after the popular show “American Idol.”

Like “American Idol,” there is an audition round and a finale night. The top ten competitors from the audition round will compete in the finale, and the winner will be determined by audience vote via text message. The finale will take place at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 21, in the Ferguson Center Theater.

Bama Idol, which premiered last year, is currently in the audition stage of the competition. The final audition round will take place tonight from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Ferguson Center in Room 313. Any UA student is eligible to try out and is required to sing one song in front of a panel of judges.

“We try to mirror ‘American Idol’ as much as we can,” said Jenn Glenn, the programming and civic leadership coordinator for HRC. “Bama Idol is so fun because the audience gets to participate in choosing the winner. There are so many students on this campus with amazing singing talent, and Bama Idol is a great opportunity for students to showcase that.”

Glenn and Sara Webb, two UA students, formed the concept for Bama Idol last year. Symone Johnson, a sophomore and programming assistant, also helped with last year’s competition and has been working on this year‘s competition since December.

“Bama Idol is different than most other community events,” Johnson said.

Bama Idol is making some major changes for this year’s show. It opened up auditions to all students, while last year’s auditions were only available to students who lived on campus. Instead of taking place in the Ferg’s ballroom, the competition will be in the Ferg Theater.

“The theater has better presence in terms of acoustics, and the singers will look better performing live on stage,” Glenn said.

The Voice, an a cappella group, will perform throughout intermission.

This year’s first place winner will get an iPad 2; second place will receive a Kindle Fire; and third place will get a swag bag with $500 worth of goods from the SUPe Store.

“Students should try out because Bama Idol is a wonderful opportunity to show off their singing talents and win great prizes,” Johnson said.