“It’s Your Move!” health campaign kicks off

Public relations students have coordinated a healthy initiative for kids to help fight childhood obesity. The “It’s Your Move!” campaign kicks off today at the YMCA in downtown Tuscaloosa. The campaign urges children to be conscious of their activities and make healthy lifestyle choices between the hours of 3-5 p.m.

“We really wanted to create an empowering campaign for the kids that was something for them to have a lot of fun with, but still learn a lot,” said Leighton Brown, a senior majoring in public relations.

A team of four students is behind “It’s Your Move!” Alongside Brown are Jessica Colburn, Carolyn Dawson and Jessica Wiger.

“Childhood obesity is an issue that needs to be addressed,” said Wiger, a senior majoring in public relations. “We want to reach beyond our campus to educate healthier lifestyles into the college town that supports us so greatly.  Our team wants Tuscaloosa to be empowered to make healthier decisions, and it starts with moving from 3 to 5.

“We are doing this to get them involved in making a choice of what their future will hold. I hope that the entire campaign will reach out to the community and make adults and children want to change the direction our nation is headed,” Dawson said.

Wednesday’s schedule includes presentations, activity sheets and an educational obstacle course. Kids will also spend time with local celebrities including UA students and athletes. Children from the after school program at the Central and Benjamin Barnes branches of the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club of West Alabama will be involved in the kickoff occurring today.

“At the Y, we are for youth development, healthy living and social responsibility,” said Walt Larisey, CEO of the YMCA. “[It’s Your Move!] falls under youth development, healthy living and social responsibility because we are helping Tuscaloosa’s youth to fight obesity.”

Brown said the campaign would occur throughout the entire month of February with different events at different locations around the community. The group will visit Holt Elementary, Cottondale Elementary, the Boys and Girls Club of West Alabama and Girl Scouts of North-Central Alabama to encourage kids to commit to being active and making smart decisions.

“I hope that we really impact the children in a positive way,” Brown said. “We realize kids are not going to change in one day, but what we really want is for the kids to remember overall this campaign and to make those healthy lifestyle changes everyday of their life so that they become healthier in the long run.”

Brown, Colburn, Dawson and Wiger are competing in the nationwide Bateman competition sponsored by the Public Relations Student Society of America. United Way is this year’s client for the 2012 competition.

“Fighting youth obesity helps everyone,” Larisey said. “You can combat youth obesity easily because there are numerous ways you can do it that aren’t expensive.”