Community Service Center application deadlines approaching

Applications for Community Service Center Student Directors are due today by 5 p.m. Applications for Assistant Student Director are due by March 26 at 5 p.m.

Students looking to apply should show that they are passionate about service and engaging others students in service, said CSC director Wahnee Sherman. She said there are seven student director positions available, and one to two assistant student directors who will work with the Student Directors in each of those areas.

“Students can help to make a difference in the University community and the Tuscaloosa community by being involved in the CSC,” Sherman said. “They can take something they are passionate about and engage other students in meaningful service.”

Seven positions for student director include acts, youth and education, hunger and homelessness, civic engagement and outreach, volunteer/freshman outreach, special projects, alternative break, public relations and marketing.

Requirements for student director include attending bi-weekly CSC staff meetings, spending 85 percent of time on personal projects and 15 percent supporting student directors’ and office initiatives, said CSC intern Alison Leach, a graduate student studying higher education.

Student directors also receive $150 per month. Leach said they are required to work 10 hours, and Assistant Student Directors are required to work five hours.

“We are really looking for anyone and everyone, we want someone who wants to give back to the UA community,” Leach said. “We have many focus groups for students to get involved.”

Leach said ideally the CSC is looking for students with public speaking and organizational skills, all qualities that will improve with the position.

Leach said criteria to apply include at least a 2.5 GPA with good academic standing. Students also must complete an application that includes several essay questions and undergo an interview process. All positions last for one year.

“I first applied at the CSC because I wanted something that included leadership skills and volunteer opportunities,” said Charlotte Brown, a sophomore majoring in marketing and Hunger and Homeless Week coordinator. “Working here has helped me identify my passions in life and it allows me to implement my ideas that I have in order to make a positive impact on the community.”

“I hope that students who care about the community and want to help make our community stronger and make an impact here will want to be part of the CSC staff for next year,” Sherman said. “We want to have strong leaders who are passionate about service be part of this outstanding team.”

“Working with the CSC is applicable to any field and it’s valuable experience for students because it helps develop as a person and it builds leadership skills,” Leach said. “The main thing is we want to make sure students have a place where they can give back and really show the UA community what we can do for them.”

Travis Mozingo, a senior majoring in marketing and CSC student assistant, said after three years of working at the CSC, he has had a positive experience.

“You always know what’s going in the community and know of all the volunteer opportunities,” he said. “It’s so easy to talk a walk down to the river to help clean up and it gives you a positive feeling knowing that you helped someone out.”