Greek system must move toward integration

In the past decade, there has been increased pressure on our greek system to adapt to the growth and expansion of the university by finally integrating fraternities and sororities.

For too long, this problem has plagued any conversation of campus cultural progress and stifles our ability to be the community of our true potential.

With arguably the most prestigious greek system in the nation, we annually have the largest sorority rush in the country and a number of campus chapters that receive national distinctions and awards from their respective national organizations.

Last spring, we saw the incredible power of our greek community through UA Greek Relief, which delivered thousands of meals and supplies to those affected by the tornado. Through supporting charitable organizations and regularly hosting philanthropic events, our greek system certainly promotes active citizenship and service to others.

However, the real issue is our system’s perpetual insistence to promote the outdated notion of a segregated greek community.

Last semester, our university president came under fire for saying all campus fraternities and sororities should determine their own membership, signaling that the administration would not be involved in forcing integration.

While our university administration could do more to foster discussions of diversity among students, it is the responsibility of the greek organizations to select new members. As a former fraternity president, I scoffed at the idea of administrators dabbling in the recruitment process.

If we were the true leaders we claim to be, we shouldn’t need the administration to force the greek system to integrate. Our campus student leaders should stand up and demand that we no longer tolerate an atmosphere of discrimination against other students.

On several occasions, I’ve spoken with opponents of an integrated greek system on campus. Overwhelmingly, the reoccurring excuse for why we should not integrate is that “it’s always been this way.” They’re right, and shame on us for it.

We’ve blurred the lines of tradition and intolerance to the point where blatant discrimination is allowed to continually happen with no accountability.

But the tides of our campus are changing and more students than ever before are now calling for a change in the way that we view our community.

In recent years, some houses have accepted Asians, Hispanics and those of Middle Eastern descent into our system. Why not everyone? Why do we continually and systematically discriminate against one minority group? What is holding us back?

As soon as we allow ourselves to break through the self-created barriers of our past, we will be a stronger, more successful and more inclusive community.

Austin Gaddis is a junior majoring in communication studies and public relations. His column runs on Thursdays.