Bus drivers go on strike

Effective this morning, drivers for the CrimsonRide are on strike.

After rejecting the latest offer from First Transit, the company running the bus system, the unionized drivers are currently on strike until further negotiations are scheduled.

There are currently 62 drivers in the union, which formed in May 2009.

This morning, a number of drivers picketed outside First Transit’s office on Kauloosa Avenue.

Kenneth Kirk, international vice president of the Amalgamated Transit Union, said the drivers will be on strike until a better deal is reached by both parties.

“We’ll be out here every day, every week,” Kirk said.

Although the absence of these drivers may already be felt on campus, many students know what the issue is at stake for them. In fact, some students sympathize with their efforts for better wages.

“If they want better wages, they (First Transit) should give it to them,” said Julia Parson, a freshman majoring in public relations.

However, others are not so sympathetic.

“It’s pretty inconvenient,” said Imran Rashie, a junior majoring in marketing.

“They need to find a way to replace them because it’s messing with student schedules,” said Shelby Nelson, a freshman majoring in history.

Cathy Andreen, spokeswoman for the University, maintained that the wage matter is between the drivers union and First Transit, and that the University will likely stay out of negotiations between the two.

“These negotiations don’t involve UA employees,” Andreen said.

Andreen said that the University has sent out an email to all students informing them that there will be delays with the bus schedules due to the strike.

Andreen said there are still a few routes that will be covered by a number of non-union drivers.

“First Transit is implementing its continuity of operations plan, which does include using some university vans, to ensure that transit service at UA continues with few disruptions,” Andreen said.

Staff Reporter Amanda Bayhi contributed to this report.