Sigma Delta Tau looking to expand membership

Sigma Delta Tau, a National Panhellenic Sorority originally founded at Cornell University in 1917, is looking to significantly expand its membership at the University of Alabama. Recruitment for the sorority will last from Jan. 30 until Feb. 22.

Sigma Delta Tau Secretary Sarah Leonard said the sorority’s recruitment process will be vastly different from that of other greek organizations on campus.

“Our recruitment process is very unique,” Leonard said. “Potential new members can expect a more laid-back, comfortable and fun recruitment experience that will allow each girl to truly come to know our members and the values our chapter lives by.”

What is perhaps more unique about the sorority, Leonard said, is their inclusion of religious and ethnic minorities. In fact, Leonard estimates that half of the sorority’s 28 members are religious and ethnic minorities.

“Our sorority was founded by seven women who had experienced subtle religious and personal discrimination by greek organizations at the time,” Leonard said. “Our chapter strives to create close bonds and sisterhood between each of its members, no matter their background.”

Mona Lisa Ndaba, a senior majoring in social work, finds the idea of an all-inclusive sorority comforting.

“Something like this really shows that our community is moving forward and advancing in race relations,” Ndaba said.

Despite the uniqueness of Sigma Delta Tau, the sorority still provides typical greek experiences, such as swaps and date parties for its members, as well as sisterhood retreats and even tailgating at home football games, Leonard said. Members can also expect to participate in a range of philanthropic duties with organizations such as Prevent Child Abuse America and Tuscaloosa One Place.

“Sigma Delta Tau places academics and philanthropy as their first priorities and actively promotes these ideas in its members,” Leonard said. “We expect our members to maintain a GPA of 2.25 or higher, complete weekly study hours, attend weekly chapter meetings, complete a required amount of volunteer hours, participate in greek and non-greek events on campus and actively participate in our philanthropy and chapter events.”

Thanks to the support of its alumnae and nationals, as well as the work of its members, Sigma Delta Tau expects to expand in the near future. According to Leonard, they are currently exploring their housing options, as well.

“I can honestly say that every one of our members has been a great sister to me,” Leonard said. “Each new member can look forward to lifelong sisters.”