Tide Legend Bart Starr teams with Allstate for BCS ticket giveway

Over 1,000 fans lined up outside of the Alabama Bookstore on Saturday for a chance to win Allstate BCS National Championship Game tickets.

Allstate partnered with Hall of Fame quarterback and Alabama football legend Bart Starr to help give away eight pairs of tickets to the Alabama-LSU game in New Orleans on January 9.

The giveaway took place from 12 to 4p.m. and Starr was on-site from 1 to 3p.m., but fans were lined up hours in advance for an opportunity to win the ultimate prize. Along with the ticket raffle, Starr signed autographs and other signed Starr memorable was also raffled off.

“I like the Allstate people and what they have done over the years,” Starr said. “I think it’s a great company and when they approached me about doing this, I was honored and thrilled to be able to come.”

As title sponsor of the Allstate BCS National Championship, the ticket giveaways are Allstate’s way of rallying excitement among Crimson Tide fans for Alabama’s second appearance in the BCS title game in the last three years.

Robby Roberts, a Tuscaloosa native and an Alabama alumnus, was one of the lucky winners who took who the championship game tickets. Roberts said it was great to be able to share it with his family.

“To be able to introduce my daughter to some of these legends is great,” Roberts said. “It’s important to my wife and me because we want here to be able to see this great tradition we grew up with and maybe she will embrace it and pass it on to her children.”

Along with Starr and Allstate, 99.1 WDGM was also on-site helping with the raffling. PJ the DJ said they wanted to be a part of it because it was “a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

“They were looking to get their message out and they knew we would be the best medium to do that,” he said. “We were just happy to be out here giving them exposure and also gaining some for ourselves.”

PJ also said having a legend like Starr joining the event was huge for the University and the city.

“It is very important to have players of his stature still coming back and supporting the team,” he said. “It’s unbelievable to meet him and it’s a life changing experience for all of the fans.”

For Starr, his Alabama ties made the decision to participate in this event an easy one.

“I think that Allstate is making a great effort to do things for students and others,” Starr said. “I commend them for that.”