Tide wins, gives Kansas first loss of season

Pete Pajor

The Alabama women’s basketball team knocked the Kansas Jayhawks from the unbeaten ranks Sunday as the Crimson Tide (7-2) beat the Jayhawks (7-1) 80-76 at home. Tide sophomore Jasmine Robinson led both teams with 24 total points, a career best. Junior Meghan Perkins was second on the team with 17 points. Robinson said she wanted to come out with a big performance to help her team in the win against Kansas. “I just wanted to do it for my team, because I wanted to win so bad,” Robinson said. “They’re a big team, you know, they’re a big name team, and I just wanted the win.” Robinson also went on to say that her team shot well as a team. The Tide shot 46 percent from the field on the game and made four of 10 three-point attempts. “I think we did a pretty good job getting the ball inside,” Robinson said. “Everybody was making shots, finishing on the play. That was our big key. If we took their chances and got the offensive rebounds, we finished the play every single time in the first half. And in the second half, I think we did a pretty good job of staying aggressive.” Alabama remained in control throughout the game, and played extremely aggressively on both sides of the ball. The Tide out-rebounded Kansas 42-35 on the game. The Tide also won the turnover battle, forcing 16 turnovers while only giving up 11. They also proved to be opportunistic, scoring 12 points on the game off turnovers. Alabama had 26 points come off the bench. For Perkins, her team’s performance, especially considering the competition, boosted her team’s confidence as it continues on into its schedule. “It’s a big confidence boost,” Perkins said. “Tonight, we came out and played Alabama basketball. So it’s a big confidence boost, like we’re heading in the right direction. We just have to keep making steps.” The game was not without its difficult moments. Alabama kept a comfortable lead most of the game, with its largest lead being 13 with a little over 10 minutes to play. With two minutes left to go, though, Kansas managed to significantly cut the Tide’s lead down to 78-76, with its leading scorer, Jasmine Robinson, already fouled out the game. For head coach Wendell Hudson, the outcome of the game was always certain, but he said he was still proud of the way his team played, especially in the dwindling moments of the game. “You look in everybody’s eyes, and that’s the key,” Hudson said. “You look in everybody’s eyes, and they were like, ‘Hey, I’m gonna make these free throws. And I’m gonna step up and get some play done.’ So when you look in their eyes, there was no doubt that they thought that they were going to win the basketball game.” But more than anything, Hudson stressed that when his team plays the way they’re capable of playing, they can be a really good team, as evidenced by Alabama’s win over a good Kansas team at home. “We’re a pretty good basketball team,” Hudson said. “And beating Kansas, which is a really good basketball team, should have proved to us that when we play together, we are a really good basketball team. I think this is one of those basketball games where you look back at the end of the season and you say, ‘This is a game that catapulted us on over to another level.’”