Nation’s future in our hands

Take your pick of any of the number of issues the U.S. is currently facing. The economy has been in a downturn for what seems like forever now, and the so-called “super committee” that was charged with the task of finding a solution to turn it around let bipartisan antics get in the way of its responsibilities.

The upcoming presidential election, which is less than a year away, might not have a legitimate Republican candidate, and it is becoming a reality that a president who hasn’t proven himself worthy of re-election might serve another four years.

Thankfully, our nation’s plate has been somewhat emptied by the planned withdrawal of all our troops in Iraq, allowing for more of a focus to be put on domestic issues. Unfortunately, these three issues aren’t even the tip of the iceberg that our nation is sailing towards.

We are not alone in our struggles, though. The world economy as a whole has hit a rough patch for some time now, and many nations are finding it tough to keep their heads above water. However, at some point it has to get better.

This isn’t the first time the United States, and the rest of the world, have hit bumps in the road and it certainly won’t be the last. The biggest question is who will come out on top of all of this? What countries will prevail above the adversity and become the key leaders of our future global society? I hope the United States will.

For as many years as any of us can remember we have considered the idea of the U.S. being the most powerful and significant nation in the world as a fact. We stand up for what is right and fight the powers that threaten the core ideals and moral values that form the foundation upon which our nation was built.

There are many nations that disagree with and even despise us, many times purely out of jealously. But in the end, the U.S. has been seen as one of the top world leaders. Have these trying times changed that?

It would be going too far to say that we aren’t a main player in our world’s political, economic and social spectrum, but it is safe to say we are certainly not what we once were. Turn on any news channel, and you will see reports that indicate this trend.

From our prized superior Standard and Poor’s rating being downgraded, with other agencies threatening to follow suit, to our always top-notch education system now being surpassed by many other nations, it is easy to see that we have room for improvement.

So where do we go from here? This is a critical time for not only our nation, but for the rest of the world. In the past, we have come out on top of such uncertain global periods, with the Great Depression and both world wars being prime examples. By emerging as one of the most dominant countries in these times, we have maintained our superior global position and have cemented our place in history as one of the greatest nations ever built. Now it is up to you and I to ensure that this continues.

As the future leaders of our country, whether that be in business, politics, science, education, or any of the numerous other fields that make up our great country, it is in our hands, as the up and coming generation, to make the required changes that will build our country’s future legacy.

We have the ability to learn from the mistakes that we are seeing in front of our eyes on a daily basis by our leaders, while also paying attention to what is currently promoting progress and prosperity across the globe. We have the opportunity to decide who will lead our local, state, and national politics by casting our vote in elections.

The upcoming presidential election is very important to our future, because it will decide who will be leading our nation in the years that we will finish our education and be thrust into the real world, where fiscal and social decisions begin to effect us more dramatically on a day to day basis.

I hope all of us see and understand the gravity of our nation’s current situation. We cannot allow ourselves to become too engulfed within the bubble of our imminent surroundings, worrying more about the daily campus gossip, which involves matters that we won’t care about in just a few short years, than a Congressional vote on healthcare, though it can be so easy to do exactly that. We must consider the direction we wish to see the U.S. pushed toward, fighting for the ideals that we hold dear. We hold the key to our nation’s future. Let us not take this responsibility lightly, but take hold of it with an unfaltering desire to improve and be better than we ever have been.

Brad Tipper is a sophomore majoring in political science and economics. His column runs biweekly on Wednesdays.