Alabama Blues Project focuses on celebrating rich musical culture

Many Alabama residents may not realize that the state is known for the blues, but a local nonprofit is hoping to change that.

“The purpose was, and is to this day, that Alabama blues is overlooked,” Debbie Bond, founder of the Alabama Blues Project, said. “There is the past that needs to be celebrated and the future that needs to be nurtured to help preserve the blues.”

Bond, an American who grew up in Europe, knew about the blues culture in Alabama starting at a young age. When she decided to relocate back to the U.S. in 1979, she moved to Alabama. After moving, she had opportunities to tour with some of Alabama’s most famous musicians, such as Johnny Shines.

Shines continues to be an inspiration for both Bond and the Alabama Blues Project, which Bond started in 1995 as a way to promote current Alabama blues artists. Seven years later, she decided to turn the project into a nonprofit because of how its mission had changed.

“It was clear that what I was doing was an educational mission, that [going nonprofit] would open the doors for all kinds of opportunities for the education,” she said. “The blues are definitely a nonprofit business, it’s very much an underground music.”

In its 16 years, the Alabama Blues Project has created an after-school program, summer camps, traveling educational programs and an exhibition on famous Alabama blues women.  The purpose of all of the educational programs is not only to teach the history of Alabama blues, but also to teach children how to perform the music.

Rachel Edwards started with the program at 15 years old, and is now an up-and-coming blues musician in the state.

“I knew about the music, but I didn’t know how deep it went. I wasn’t sure of the history and the heritage,” Edwards said. “[The project helped] self-esteem-wise and with broadening your horizons. It was really good because I feel like sometimes I don’t know that much about my culture and where I came from, and a lot of that was opened up to me when I joined the blues project.”

After graduating high school, Edwards continued to help with the project when she could. This year is her first as a vocal instructor for the after-school program. This year, the program has 35 students ranging from eight to 18 years old and meets every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m.

According to Bond, the after-school program is well known for working with at-risk children, including children affected by the April 27 tornado or children who have difficult home lives.

“Most children in the U.S. are at risk in the sense that divorce rates are so high, the financial crises and we just had the tornado here,” she said. “There are so many things that [make] kids need something like this where they can express their emotion.

“Willie King used to say ‘the blues were sent down to heal souls.’ That’s basically what it was for…when you can put something into a song and put it out there for other people to enjoy, it makes you feel like you’re not alone, and the next thing you know you’re moving, dancing and just getting it out of your system.”

The Alabama Blues Project’s most recent historical project is an exhibition of famous Alabama blues women such as Big Mama Thornton, Odetta and Coot Grant. Bond, Edwards and other blues women from Alabama travel the state showcasing the exhibition and their talents.

“We really are the source of information of all things to do with Alabama blues, even though it is only at a modest level,” Bond said.

The Alabama Blues Project will hold a benefit concert at Rooster’s Blues House on Dec. 10 at 6 p.m. Ticket information can be found online at alabamablues.org.